Why do you get sunburnt on a cloudy day?

• Thread starter dellianaL
  • Start date
In summary, clouds are not only transparent to visible light, but also to ultraviolet light. This is why even on a cloudy day, some sunlight can still get through. However, the amount of UV radiation that passes through is limited, similar to the effect on visible light. This explains why the lyrics in the song "My Girl" mention having sunshine on a cloudy day.
dellianaL
need it soon...very irritating. :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
Because clouds are not opaque to ultraviolet light, of course.

- Warren

To expand a bit;
Clouds are not opaque to visible light either. Ever notice how on a cloudy day, you can still see? The amount of light in the visible range that gets through the clouds is not zero. The UV radiation that does the famage to your skin is close to the frequencies of visible light, so the effect of clouds on these two forms of radiation is similar. Not much UV gets through, but some.

That's why the song "My Girl" can truthfully say, "I got sunshine, on a cloudy day...":biggrin:

Thanks you guys...

Why do you get sunburnt on a cloudy day?

1. Why do you need to wear sunscreen on a cloudy day?

On a cloudy day, the clouds may block some of the sun's visible light, but they do not block the harmful UV rays. These rays can still penetrate through the clouds and cause damage to your skin, leading to sunburn.

2. Can you still get a sunburn on a cloudy day?

Yes, you can still get a sunburn on a cloudy day. As mentioned before, the clouds do not completely block the UV rays, and therefore, your skin can still be exposed to them and get burnt.

3. Is the UV radiation stronger on a cloudy day?

Yes, the UV radiation can actually be stronger on a cloudy day. This is because the clouds can act as a reflector for the UV rays, bouncing them back onto your skin and increasing your exposure.

4. Is it necessary to wear sunscreen even if I'm not in direct sunlight on a cloudy day?

Yes, it is still necessary to wear sunscreen on a cloudy day even if you are not in direct sunlight. UV rays can still reach your skin indirectly, such as through reflections off of surfaces or through windows, and can still cause sunburn.

5. How can I protect myself from getting sunburnt on a cloudy day?

The best way to protect yourself from getting sunburnt on a cloudy day is to wear sunscreen with at least SPF 30, even if it's cloudy or you'll be indoors. You can also wear protective clothing, such as hats and long-sleeved shirts, and seek shade whenever possible.