Installing a 2nd drive in Windows

In summary, to physically install a 2nd drive in your Windows computer, you will need to open up your computer case, insert the drive into an available drive bay, and connect the necessary cables. The drive will also need to be formatted before use and can be used to store files and programs. Adding a 2nd drive should not significantly affect performance, but using a newer, faster drive is recommended. The 2nd drive can also be used to run a different operating system, but this will require a separate installation and potentially changing the boot order in the BIOS.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
My bro has installed a slave drive on his windows box. He can see it in Device Manager, which can tell it's a 160Gb drive, and he's been able to format it too. (He's not switching drives, he's still got Windows running fine on his Master drive, he's simply adding a slave. )

He can't see it listed as Drive E: (after his DVD-drive) in Explorer.

There's got to be one step left that we've missed.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Nevermind. He figured it out. He hadn't partitioned it properly.

I would suggest checking the drive's partition and file system settings. It is possible that the drive was not assigned a drive letter during formatting, which is why it is not showing up in Explorer. Another possibility could be that the drive is not properly connected or configured in the BIOS. I would recommend double-checking these settings and making sure the drive is properly recognized by the system. It may also be helpful to consult the user manual or seek assistance from a computer technician for further troubleshooting.

1. How do I physically install a 2nd drive in my Windows computer?

To physically install a 2nd drive in your Windows computer, you will need to open up your computer case and locate an available drive bay. Carefully insert the 2nd drive into the bay and secure it in place with screws. Then, connect the necessary cables, such as the SATA and power cables, to the drive and your computer's motherboard. Finally, close the computer case and power on your computer.

2. Do I need to format the 2nd drive before using it in Windows?

Yes, you will need to format the 2nd drive before you can use it in Windows. This can be done by opening the Disk Management tool in Windows and selecting the 2nd drive. Then, right-click on the drive and select "Format". Follow the prompts to format the drive in a compatible file system, such as NTFS.

3. Can I use the 2nd drive to store files and programs?

Yes, the 2nd drive can be used to store files and programs just like your primary drive. However, you may need to change the default installation location for programs to the 2nd drive in order for them to be installed there. You can also manually move files to the 2nd drive for storage purposes.

4. Will adding a 2nd drive affect the performance of my computer?

Adding a 2nd drive should not significantly affect the performance of your computer. However, if the 2nd drive is an older, slower drive, it may impact the overall speed of your computer. It is recommended to use a newer, faster drive for optimal performance.

5. Can I use the 2nd drive to run a different operating system?

Yes, you can use the 2nd drive to run a different operating system, such as Linux, as long as your computer's hardware is compatible. You may need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS to boot from the 2nd drive instead of your primary drive. Keep in mind that this will require a separate installation of the operating system on the 2nd drive.