Hardy Weinberg problem

• Thread starter colton4286
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weinberg
In summary: The result of this punnett square (Rr X Rr) is that there is a 0.52% chance that the offspring will express the recessive trait.
colton4286
Hardy Weinberg problem please help

If 4% of a population in Hardy Weinberg equilibrium expresses a recessive trait, what is the probability that the offspring of 2 individuals who do not express the trait will express it?

I did what I could and got an answer. My work is below. Could you please check my work and comment? Thanks.

rr = expresses recessive trait = 4% = 4/100
Rr, RR = doesn't express recessive trait = 100-4= 96% = 96/100

q = 2(4) + 96 = 104/200 = 0.52

The punnett square Rr X Rr can only result in offspring who will express the recessive trait so
rr would equal 0.52*o.52= 0.270

Physics news on Phys.org
colton4286 said:
q = 2(4) + 96 = 104/200 = 0.52

The punnett square Rr X Rr can only result in offspring who will express the recessive trait so

Hi colton4286! :smile:

I don't understand what you've done here … why did you add 8? :confused:

Hint: you know RrxRr is the only possiblity that can produce rr. So …

i) what is P(rr|RrxRr)?
ii) what is P(RrxRr|(not rr)x(not rr))? :smile:

I would from the HW law work out the r allele frequency
colton4286 said:
I confess it is the first time I met the word punnett in this context, but I looked it up and that statement I think is just not true, so start again.

colton4286 said:

For all quantitative calculations I strongly recommend the habit of plausibility, qualitative (e.g. something > or < something else) and when possible order-of-magnitude checks, as we do not have such an inbuilt instinct for just formulae. It will help and prevent persisting with mistakes when you realize whether a result is reasonable or not.

Here you know (are given) the frequency of expressing the trait when you know nothing about parents.
Then, when you do know that the parents do not express the trait, that shifts the frequency you expect in the offspring - in what direction?

The trait is not all that frequent, so the r gene frequency is here not what you call rare but not all that high. So is its expression in your case likely to be rare, not all that different from when you don't know the parents, or pretty frequent as you have concluded?

1. What is the Hardy Weinberg principle?

The Hardy Weinberg principle, also known as the Hardy Weinberg equilibrium, is a fundamental concept in population genetics that describes the relationship between allele frequencies and genotype frequencies in a population.

2. What are the assumptions of the Hardy Weinberg principle?

The Hardy Weinberg principle assumes five conditions: 1) a large population size, 2) random mating, 3) no mutation, 4) no gene flow, and 5) no natural selection. Violation of any of these conditions can lead to changes in allele and genotype frequencies in a population.

3. How can the Hardy Weinberg principle be used to determine if a population is evolving?

If a population meets the assumptions of the Hardy Weinberg principle and allele and genotype frequencies remain constant over generations, then the population is not evolving. However, if changes in allele or genotype frequencies are observed, then this indicates that the population is evolving.

4. What is the significance of the Hardy Weinberg principle in genetics?

The Hardy Weinberg principle is important in genetics because it provides a null model for understanding how allele and genotype frequencies in a population can remain stable over time. Deviations from this principle can indicate the presence of evolutionary forces, such as natural selection or genetic drift, acting on a population.

5. How is the Hardy Weinberg principle used in research and practical applications?

The Hardy Weinberg principle is used in research to test for genetic equilibrium in populations and to study the effects of different evolutionary forces on allele and genotype frequencies. It also has practical applications in fields such as medicine, conservation, and agriculture, where understanding genetic equilibrium is important for managing and preserving populations.