Coordinate Rotation in a Cartesian 3-Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving a set of equations for a new Cartesian coordinate system after a rotation of an original coordinate system. The steps involved transforming the coordinates into spherical coordinates, rotating them by angles p0 and q0, and simplifying and substituting the original values. The conversation also mentions the need for a coordinate-independent set of equations and asks for any simpler equations for general rotations in three dimensions. It is suggested that spherical coordinates may only be useful for rotations around the z-axis.
ForMyThunder
I have been trying to derive a set of equations for a new Cartesian coordinate system after a rotation of an original coordinate system. This is what I did:

1) I transformed the Cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) into spherical coordinates (r,p,q):
x= r cos(q) cos(p)
y= r cos(q) sin(p)
z= r sin (q)

2) The coordinates are to be rotated by angles of p0 and q0 so that:

p'= p-p0
q'= q-q0
r'= r

3) Substitution:

x'= r cos(q-q0) cos (p-p0)
y'= r cos(q-q0) sin (p-p0)
z'= r sin(q-q0)

4) Simplifying and substituting the original values of x, y, and z:

x'= (r cos(q) cos(q0) + r sin(q) sin(q0)) (cos(p) cos(p0) + sin(p) sin(p0))
= r cos(q) cos(q0) cos(p) cos(p0) + r cos(q) cos(q0) sin(p) sin(p0) + r sin(q) sin(q0)cos(p) cos(p0) + r sin(q) sin(q0) sin(p) sin(p0)
= x cos(q0) cos(p0) + y cos(q0) sin(p0) + z sin(p0)cos(p) cos(p0) + z sin(q0) sin(p)
sin(p0)

y'=(r cos(q) cos(q0) + r sin(q) sin(q0)) (sin(p) cos(p0) - cos(p) sin(p0))
=r cos(q) cos(q0) sin(p) cos(p0) - r cos(q) cos(q0) cos(p) sin(p0) + r sin(q) sin(q0)
sin(p) cos(p0) - r sin(q) sin(q0) cos(p) sin(p0)
=y cos(q0) cos(p0) - x cos(q0) sin(p0) + z sin(q0) sin(p) cos(p0) - z sin(q0) cos(p)
sin(p0)

z'= r sin(q) cos(q0) - r cos(q) sin(q0)
= z cos(q0) - r cos(q) sin(q0)

This is as far as I got, but in the equations for x and y, there are still some sin(p)'s and
cos(p)'s left in there which cannot be evaluated without the original coordinates and I want to find a coordinate-independent set of equations so that the same equations can be used for every point in the original coordinate system.

My question is: Is there any way to get rid of these sine's and cosine's? Or do you see anything that I could have done wrong or different?

If you know any simpler equations, please send them to me.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The spherical coordinates are useful only for the rotation around z-axis. With your notation, that means translation of variable p. For more general rotations, the spherical coordinates are making things only more difficult.

Here's something about rotations in three dimensions: Elements of SO(3)?

What is coordinate rotation in a Cartesian 3-space?

Coordinate rotation in a Cartesian 3-space is the process of changing the orientation of a set of coordinates in a three-dimensional coordinate system. This is done by rotating the axes of the coordinate system around a fixed point.

Why is coordinate rotation important?

Coordinate rotation is important because it allows us to describe the position and orientation of objects in three-dimensional space. This is essential in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

How is coordinate rotation achieved?

Coordinate rotation is achieved by using a mathematical transformation called a rotation matrix. This matrix is used to represent the rotation of the axes in three-dimensional space, and it can be applied to any set of coordinates to rotate them to a new orientation.

What are the applications of coordinate rotation?

Coordinate rotation has many applications in science and technology. It is used in computer graphics to rotate 3D objects, in robotics to control the movement of robots, and in satellite navigation systems to determine the position and orientation of objects in space.

Are there different types of coordinate rotation?

Yes, there are different types of coordinate rotation depending on the axis of rotation and the angle of rotation. The most common types are rotation around the x, y, and z axes, and these rotations can be performed in either a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.