Sturm-Liouville (can someone tell me if this is right?)

• Thread starter EngageEngage
  • Start date
In summary, Engage was unsure if their solution to a Sturm-Liouville problem was correct. After some discussion, it was determined that the boundary conditions were based on x, not t. After correcting the error, it was found that the solution was correct and there was only one eigenfunction. The eigenvalues were found to be \lambda_{n} = \left(\frac{2n\pi}{L}\right)^{2} and the corresponding eigenfunctions were u_{n} = cos\left(\frac{2n\pi x}{L}\right). The general solution was given by u =\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}cos\left(\frac{2n\pi x}{
EngageEngage
Hi, I solved a simple Sturm-Liouville problem and not sure if its right or not because the answer is odd. I was hoping someone could tell me if I did it right.

[tex]
\frac{d^{2}u}{dt^{2}}=\lambda u, 0<x<L, \frac{du}{dx}(0) = 0, u(0)=L
[/tex]

[tex]\lambda > 0[/tex]
[tex]
u = c_{1}cosh(\sqrt{\lambda}x)+c_{2}sinh(\sqrt{\lambda}x)
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{du}{dx} = c_{1}\sqrt{\lambda}sinh(\sqrt{\lambda}x)+c_{2}\sqrt{\lambda}cosh(\sqrt{\lambda}x)
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{du}{dx}(0) = c_{2}=0;
u(0)=u(L)\Rightarrow c_{1}cosh(\sqrt{\lambda}x)=c_{1}
[/tex]
It appears I can't find c1 unless i did something wrong...

[tex] \lambda = 0[/tex]
[tex]u = c_{1}+c_{2}x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{du}{dx}(0) = 0\Rightarrow c_{1}=0[/tex]
[tex]u(L) = u(0) \Rightarrow c_{2}=0[/tex]

[tex]\lambda < 0[/tex]
[tex] u = c_{1}cos(\sqrt{\lambda}x)+c_{2}sin(\sqrt{\lambda}x)[/tex]
[tex] \frac{du}{dx}(0) = \sqrt{lambda}c_{2}cos(\sqrt{\lambda}0) \Rightarrow c_{2}=0[/tex]
[tex] u(0) = u(L) \Rightarrow c_{1}=c_{1}cos(\sqrt{\lambda}L)[/tex]
[tex] \lambda = \left(\frac{arccos(1)}{L}\right)^{2} [/tex]
[tex]u = cos\left(\frac{arccos(1)x}{L}\right)[/tex]
is that right? I've never seen an answer like that... Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Engage,

Before I dive too much further into helping you out, we need to clarify some things about your initial problem:

You have written:
[tex]
\frac{d^{2}u}{dt^{2}}=\lambda u
[/tex]

However, your boundary conditions are based on x, not t. If you are to solve this ODE, you'll find a solution in terms of t, of which you've continued in terms of x. Perhaps this is just a variable mix up? Perhaps it is the case that you wish to start out with the Laplacian of u?

Either way, it serves to clarify the situation.

Thanks,
Coto

EngageEngage said:
is that right?
You should be able to answer for yourself! You're trying to solve an equation, aren't you? Is your answer actually a solution to it?

yeah, I messed up the initial problem, the independent variable is x, not t.
[tex]

\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}=\lambda u
[/tex]

[tex] \lambda < 0[/tex]
makes the diff eq:
[tex]

\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}=-\lambda u
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}\left(-sin(arcos(1)\frac{x}{L})(\frac{arcos(1)}{L})\right)=
-cos(arcos(1)\frac{x}{L})\left(\frac{arcos(1)}{L}\right)^2=-\lambda u[/tex]
... So i guess it is right... Thanks for the help! So does this mean there is only one eigenfunction then?

Hey Engage,

I suggest you take a look at your last step, where you solve for lambda. The idea is there, but you've overstepped what you should have done.

My suggestion is to divide out the c1's such that you have:
[tex]
c_{1}=c_{1}cos(\sqrt{\lambda}L) \rightarrow 1 = cos(\sqrt{\lambda}L)
[/tex]

So then what does the argument of cosine have to be such that cos of that is always one. This is in general the way you solve these problems. You want to find the eigenvalues lambda such that this argument always holds. For finite boundary conditions, lambda is discrete.

Hopefully this helps.
Coto

PS. It seems you do not have enough information to solve for the constant.

And is it u(0) = u(L) or u(0) = L ?

its u(0) = u(L). Thanks for the help. Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean Coto in your post #6. I though thtis is what I did to find lambda. did i mess that up? Thank you all for the help! Ahh, i see so arcos(1) will be 2*pi*n where n is any integer including zero, is that correct?

so
[tex]
\lambda_{n} = \left(\frac{2n\pi}{L}\right)^{2}
[/tex]
[tex]
u_{n} = cos\left(\frac{2n\pi x}{L}\right)
[/tex]
[tex]
u =\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}cos\left(\frac{2n\pi x}{L}\right)
[/tex]

Last edited:

What is Sturm-Liouville?

Sturm-Liouville is a mathematical theory that deals with certain types of differential equations, specifically those that can be expressed in a form called the Sturm-Liouville form.

What is the significance of Sturm-Liouville?

Sturm-Liouville theory is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, including quantum mechanics, signal processing, and differential geometry. It provides a powerful framework for solving a wide range of differential equations and studying their properties.

What are the key concepts of Sturm-Liouville theory?

The main concepts of Sturm-Liouville theory are the Sturm-Liouville operator, eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, and the Sturm-Liouville boundary value problem. These concepts are used to solve a variety of differential equations and understand the behavior of solutions.

How is Sturm-Liouville related to other mathematical theories?

Sturm-Liouville theory is closely related to other areas of mathematics, such as linear algebra, complex analysis, and functional analysis. It also has connections to important physical theories, such as Fourier analysis and the theory of partial differential equations.

What are some applications of Sturm-Liouville theory?

Sturm-Liouville theory has many practical applications, including analyzing the behavior of vibrating strings and membranes, solving problems in electrostatics and heat transfer, and understanding the properties of quantum systems. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and applied mathematics.