How can L'hopital's rule be applied to solve this limit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of L'Hopital's rule to find the limit of a function as x approaches 1. The participant initially has trouble applying the rule due to a misunderstanding of the Chain Rule, but eventually realizes their mistake and applies the rule correctly. They also discuss a theorem that allows the limit operator to be passed over certain functions and the importance of continuity in applying this rule.
theneedtoknow

Homework Statement

find the limit as x approaches 1- of [(1-x^2)^1/2] / [(1-x^3)^1/2] aka root(1-x^2)/root(1-x^3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I don't really get how to solve this limit using l'hopital's rule if i differentiate both top and bottom i get [1 / 2root(1-x^2)] / [1 / 2root(1-x^3) which is now in the form inf / inf , or if i cross multipl it assumes the same form of my original limit statement with numrator and denominator switched, and if i differentiate top ad bottom again, it goes back to its original form...So basically it seems like one endless loop.
The only wayI can think to get the answer is to remove the square roots (since they apply to both the top and bottom of the fraction), find the limit as x approaches 1 of (1-x^2) / (1-x^3) which is just 2/3. So the original limit must have been root (2/3)
Now that seems to match the answer in the back of the book, but my first instinct was to apply L'hopital's rule even with the root signs, and that didn't work out at all. Can someone explain to me if there is a way to solve this problem by applying L'hopital's rule even with the roots, and, if not, is there other similar situations n which i have to be sneakier in applying L'hopital's rule?

Physics news on Phys.org
theneedtoknow said:
Well I don't really get how to solve this limit using l'hopital's rule if i differentiate both top and bottom i get [1 / 2root(1-x^2)] / [1 / 2root(1-x^3)] ...

There's part of your difficulty right there -- you're forgetting about the Chain Rule. There should be another factor in both the numerator and the denominator...

Try factoring inside the radical of the original expression first: the numerator is a difference of two squares and the denominator is a difference of two cubes. You should find that you can eliminate the obnoxious (1 - x) factor. (Of course, now it's not an indeterminate ratio. Are you required to use L'Hopital on this?)

Last edited:
In the first part, you're forgetting to multiply by the derivative of the function inside the radicals. You were right in trying to pass the limit operator over the square root function, that is a not so well known theorem. If you have a limit operator outside of a function, which does no involve the variable, the limit operator may be safely moved across the function. It's what's used in proving the famous e limit,
[tex]e=\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{x}\right)^x[/tex].
And to show you an example,
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c}\left(\sin f(x)\right)=\sin\left(\lim_{x\rightarrow c}f(x)\right)[/tex]
I can't think of any other tricky situations where you'd have to come up with something creative with L'hopital's rule. Just know that if you get an indeterminate form after one iteration, try another. Sometimes 3 or 4 are needed.
Hope that helps.

ohhhh crap haha I can't believe I forgot thatpart :) thank u :)

gamesguru said:
In the first part, you're forgetting to multiply by the derivative of the function inside the radicals. You were right in trying to pass the limit operator over the square root function, that is a not so well known theorem. If you have a limit operator outside of a function, which does not involve the variable, the limit operator may be safely moved across the function. It's what's used in proving the famous e limit,
[tex]e=\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{x}\right)^x[/tex].
And to show you an example,
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c}\left(\sin f(x)\right)=\sin\left(\lim_{x\rightarrow c}f(x)\right)[/tex]
I'm not clear on what you mean by "does not involve the variable" since both of those examples certainly do. In any case, that is simply the definition of "continuous function". As long as g(x) is continuous at f(a) then
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} g(f(x))= g(\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(a))[/tex]

I can't think of any other tricky situations where you'd have to come up with something creative with L'hopital's rule. Just know that if you get an indeterminate form after one iteration, try another. Sometimes 3 or 4 are needed.
Hope that helps.

HallsofIvy said:
I'm not clear on what you mean by "does not involve the variable" since both of those examples certainly do. In any case, that is simply the definition of "continuous function". As long as g(x) is continuous at f(a) then
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} g(f(x))= g(\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(a))[/tex]
If the function you were trying to pass the limit operator over involved the variable it wouldn't work, for instance,
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c} x \sin\left( f(x)\right)\neq x\sin\left(\lim_{x\rightarrow c} f(x)\right)[/tex].
in your example, g(f(x))=x Sin[f(x)]. So g(x) cannot involve the variable itself. So basically you can only pass the limit operator over other operators i.e sin, cos, exp, log.

That "interpretation" occurred to me a little later! In that case, again if g(x,y) is continuous at (c, f(c)),
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c}g(x,f(x))= g(c, \lim_{x\rightarrow c}f(x))[/tex]

What is L'Hopital's rule and when is it used?

L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical tool used to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It is typically used when direct substitution of values into the limit expression results in an undefined answer.

What are the conditions for using L'Hopital's rule?

The conditions for using L'Hopital's rule are that the limit must be in an indeterminate form, the limit must involve a single variable, and the limit must be of the form 0/0 or ∞/∞.

Can L'Hopital's rule be used for limits at infinity?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be used for limits at infinity as long as the limit is in the indeterminate form ∞/∞.

What are the steps for using L'Hopital's rule?

The steps for using L'Hopital's rule are: 1) Rewrite the limit in the form 0/0 or ∞/∞, 2) Take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator, 3) Evaluate the new limit, and 4) Repeat the process if necessary until the limit is no longer in an indeterminate form.

Are there any limitations to using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, there are limitations to using L'Hopital's rule. It can only be used for limits involving a single variable and it may not always yield the correct answer. It is important to check the answer using other methods to ensure its accuracy.