Kinetic/potential energy of charges as they approach each other

In summary, a charged particle with a mass of 0.0025kg and a charge of -3uC is fired towards a stationary charge of -4uC from a distance of 55cm with an initial speed of 15m/s. To find the distance traveled before the particle stops and begins to return, the equation KE_i+PE_i=KE_f+PE_f should be used. The potential energy at the stopping point should not be equal to the initial kinetic energy, as this would imply that a charged particle fired at the same point with the same initial speed would not move at all. Instead, the work done against the field should be calculated to determine the distance traveled.
brazen2

Homework Statement

A charge of -4uC is fixed in place. From a horizontal distance of 55 cm, a particle of mass 0.0025kg and charge -3uC is fired with an initial speed of 15m/s directly towards the fixed charge. How far does the particle travel before it stops and begins to return back?

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv^2
PE=qV
V=KQ/r

The Attempt at a Solution

KE=1/2mv^2
KE=1/2(0.0025kg )(15m/s)^2
KE= 0.28125
KE will equal PE when particle stops moving so...
PE=0.28125=qV=(-3e6)(9e9)(-4e6/r)
r= 0.384 = distance where particle stops moving

Is this correct? I don't want to use F= KQ1Q2/r^2 and F=ma for this question, as that would only give me the initial acceleration of the particle... Am I totally off track??
Thanks everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. But the equation you are looking for isn't KE=PE. It's KE_i+PE_i=KE_f+PE_f where the subscripts i and f refer the initial and final. Yes, KE_f=0. But neither PE_i nor PE_f is zero if you are using q*k/r for the potential.

You should not calculate the potential at the point where it is equivalent to the initial KE of the charged particle. Otherwise this would imply that a charged particle fired at the stationary charge at that point with the same initial speed would not move at all. Rather, find the work done against the field when the fired particle moves from its origin to the point where it stops.

1. What is kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or condition.

2. How are charges related to kinetic and potential energy?

Charges are related to kinetic and potential energy through their interaction with each other. When charges are in motion, they possess kinetic energy, and when they are in a certain position, they possess potential energy.

3. How does the distance between charges affect their kinetic and potential energy?

The distance between charges plays a significant role in determining their kinetic and potential energy. As the distance between charges decreases, their potential energy increases, while their kinetic energy decreases. This is because the charges experience a stronger force of attraction, reducing their motion and increasing their potential energy.

4. What happens to the kinetic and potential energy as charges approach each other?

As charges approach each other, their kinetic energy decreases while their potential energy increases. This is because the force of attraction between the charges increases, reducing their motion and increasing their potential energy.

5. How is the total energy of charges conserved as they approach each other?

The total energy of charges is conserved as they approach each other because their kinetic energy decreases while their potential energy increases. This means that the total energy remains constant, as energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.