How do I sketch a direction field for Newton's 2nd law with a constant added?

In summary: The Attempt at a Solutionwell, you could try graphing it on a coordinate plane, like so:In summary, the person is trying to find the terminal velocity but doesn't know how to sketch the direction field.
XSK

Homework Statement

(i'm not sure if this is the correct forum please move it if incorrect)
my problem is with generally drawing direction fields - i don't really know what to do. i have notes but i can't make head nor tail of them. this is an example of a question concerning them:

veloc.png

Homework Equations

i know that if you stick the requirments into Newton's 2nd law adding constant k you get that equation, and i know to find the terminal velocity you integrate and find v, but i don't know how to sketch the direction field.

The Attempt at a Solution

i see that

dv/dt = -g + k/m

but this seems to be independant of both v and t so how do i plot it as a graph?

even if there were a v or t in that equation i still wouldn't be comfortable to draw the direction field because i don't know what to do >_>;

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of direction fields as a [tex]{dy \over dx} = f(x,y)[/tex]. At each point [tex](x,y)[/tex] on the graph, you draw a tic-mark with slope equal to f(x,y). So here, instead of x and y, we have v and t, and f(v,t)=-g+k/m. What's the slope of each tick mark going to be?

uhh
i'm not sure...some kind of straight line?

Check the meaning of the word "slope". It is a number not "some kind of line". What does the slope of a line mean?

ok i looked up slope and now know it is a number but the answer to this question still eludes me!

i don't know how you'd put the equation on a graph

the notes i have for this involve looking at the independence of say, x of the equation so I am rather stumped. also i just suck at graphs...

Last edited:

What is a direction field?

A direction field is a graphical representation of the slope of a differential equation at various points on a graph. It helps to visualize the behavior of a function and the direction in which it is changing at different points.

Why is drawing direction fields important?

Drawing direction fields can help us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its solutions. It also allows us to identify areas of the graph where the function is increasing, decreasing, or remaining constant.

How do you draw a direction field?

To draw a direction field, you first need to determine the slope of the function at different points on the graph. This can be done by plugging in values for x and y into the differential equation. Then, at each point, draw a small line segment with the slope as its direction. Repeat this process for multiple points to get a better understanding of the overall behavior of the function.

What information can we gather from a direction field?

A direction field can provide us with information about the behavior of a function, such as where it is increasing, decreasing, or remaining constant. It can also help us to identify the presence of critical points, where the slope is equal to zero, and determine the stability of those points.

How can direction fields be used in real-world applications?

Direction fields have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and economic trends. They are also useful in visualizing and analyzing data in fields such as meteorology and ecology.