Velocity squared vs position graph

In summary, the slope of a best fit line on a velocity squared vs position graph represents the acceleration, but it seems to be off from the expected value of 9.80m/sec^2. However, if the graph was plotted with velocity squared vs time, the gradient would be 2 times the acceleration.
azn4lyf89
I calculated a slope from a best fit line of a velocity squared vs position graph but I don't understand what this slope represents. My units come out to be in cm/seconds squared, so does that mean that's my acceleration? It seems to be way off from 9.80m/sec^2 which should be my acceleration. Or does this slope help me determine to acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well from [itex]v^2=u^2+2as[/itex]

If you plot v2 vs. s, your gradient should be 2a

rock.freak667 said:
Well from [itex]v^2=u^2+2as[/itex]

If you plot v2 vs. s, your gradient should be 2a

Isn't that only if the graph was velocity squared vs time? Because s is seconds right?

azn4lyf89 said:
Isn't that only if the graph was velocity squared vs time? Because s is seconds right?

s is displacement.

t is usually used to inidicate time.

1. What is a velocity squared vs position graph?

A velocity squared vs position graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between the square of an object's velocity and its position over a certain period of time. It is commonly used in physics to analyze the motion of an object.

2. How is velocity squared calculated?

Velocity squared is calculated by multiplying an object's velocity by itself. For example, if an object is moving with a velocity of 5 m/s, its velocity squared would be 5 m/s x 5 m/s = 25 m/s^2.

3. What does the slope of a velocity squared vs position graph represent?

The slope of a velocity squared vs position graph represents the acceleration of the object. This is because the slope is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in position.

4. How does the shape of the graph change when an object is accelerating?

When an object is accelerating, the velocity squared vs position graph will have a curved shape. This is because the velocity of the object is changing at a non-constant rate, resulting in a non-linear graph.

5. What can we learn from a velocity squared vs position graph?

A velocity squared vs position graph can provide information about an object's acceleration, velocity, and displacement over a certain period of time. It can also help in understanding the force acting on the object, as well as its direction of motion.