Maxwell Stress Tensor: Explained for Ben

In summary: If you need to calculate the stress in terms of other units, you can use the PF library to convert between units.
Ben473
Would someone please be able to run me through the different components of the Maxwell Stress Tensor equation.

[tex]T_{ij} = \epsilon_0 \left( E_i E_j - \frac{1}{2} \delta_{ij} E^2 \right) + \frac{1}{\mu_0} \left( B_i B_j - \frac{1}{2} \delta_{ij} E^2 \right)[/tex]

I don't understand some of it and would be grateful if someone ran me through.

Thanks,

Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
What part do you not understand? Or better, what part *do* you understand?

Hi Andy,

What I fully understand is the Electric and Magnetic constants.
Im not so sure on the Kronecker Delta.
Everything else is a bit 'iffy'!

I presume that the i and j indices are unit vectors. Would I be right in saying this?

What I was really asking for (should have been more specific in the original post) was the different units the different omponents are measured in (e.g. Teslas etc.) as well as an example that ran through how to do the calculation.

Thanks,

Ben.

Ben,

I'm not really sure what the natural units of E and H are- 'E' can be Volts/meter, for example, but then I don't know what the correct unit for B is.

Graphically, I think of the stress tensor as the surface of a cube, with each face of the cube having three directions- 1 normal to the face, the other two tangential. The normal component is like a pressure, and correspond to T_ii (i = 1, 2, 3) while the other two components are like shear terms. It's easy to picture in Cartesian coordinates, anyway.

Ben473 said:
Im not so sure on the Kronecker Delta.

I presume that the i and j indices are unit vectors. Would I be right in saying this?

i and j are just indices. [itex]\delta_{ij} = 1[/itex] if i = j, otherwise it equals 0. For example, [itex]\delta_{22} = 1[/itex] and [itex]\delta_{13} = 0[/itex]. Therefore,

[tex]T_{22} = \epsilon_0 \left( E_2^2 - \frac{1}{2} E^2 \right)

+ \frac{1}{\mu_0} \left( B_2^2 - \frac{1}{2} B^2 \right)[/tex]

[tex]T_{13} = \epsilon_0 E_1 E_3 + \frac{1}{\mu_0} B_1 B_3[/tex]

(oops. I had to correct the second equation. Forgot about [itex]\delta_{13} = 0[/itex]. :blushing:)

Last edited:
Thanks Alex and JtBell.

That really helps. I think I understand it now.

But if I was to do this on a real life object, how would I work out the i and j indices?

Ben.

Depends on what you need for a particular calculation. Indices 1,2,3 are the x,y,z components of [itex]\vec E[/itex] and [itex]\vec B[/itex]. Often you deal with all nine combinations at once, in a matrix:

[tex]
\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{T_{11} } & {T_{12} } & {T_{13} } \\
{T_{21} } & {T_{22} } & {T_{23} } \\
{T_{31} } & {T_{32} } & {T_{33} } \\
\end{array}} \right)
[/tex]

Or have I missed the point of your question? :confused:

Thanks,

I get it now.

I really appreciate your help.

Ben.

Ben473 said:
What I was really asking for (should have been more specific in the original post) was the different units the different omponents are measured in (e.g. Teslas etc.) as well as …

Andy Resnick said:
I'm not really sure what the natural units of E and H are- 'E' can be Volts/meter, for example, but then I don't know what the correct unit for B is.

Hi Ben and Andy! :smile:

B is in teslas or weber per metre² or volt-seconds per metre².

For more details, see electric units in PF Library. :smile:

Thanks Tiny-Tim,

I had an inkling that this was the case, but i wasnt sure.

Ben.

1. What is the Maxwell Stress Tensor?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is a mathematical representation of the stress (force per unit area) in an electromagnetic field. It describes the distribution of forces acting on a small element of the field and is a key concept in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic systems.

2. How is the Maxwell Stress Tensor calculated?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is calculated using the Maxwell stress equations, which involve integrating the electric and magnetic fields over a given area. The resulting tensor has nine components, each representing the stress in a particular direction.

3. What is the significance of the Maxwell Stress Tensor in electromagnetism?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is significant because it allows us to calculate the forces and stresses present in an electromagnetic field. This is important for understanding the behavior of materials in the presence of electric and magnetic fields, as well as designing and optimizing electromagnetic systems.

4. How does the Maxwell Stress Tensor relate to the Lorentz force law?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is closely related to the Lorentz force law, which describes the force exerted on a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field. The stress tensor allows us to calculate the overall force on a given area of the electromagnetic field, while the Lorentz force law focuses on the force on a single charged particle.

5. Can the Maxwell Stress Tensor be used in other fields of science?

While the Maxwell Stress Tensor is primarily used in electromagnetism, it can also be applied to other fields such as fluid mechanics and general relativity. In these cases, the electric and magnetic fields are replaced with other types of field and the tensor is used to describe the corresponding stress and forces.