How Does Speed Affect Radar Frequency Shift?

In summary, the conversation discusses the frequency shift of a police radar signal reflecting off a moving car and the formula for calculating this shift. It is noted that the speed of light, not sound, should be used in the formula and the conversation ends with a question about any other potential mistakes made.
akan

Homework Statement

What is the frequency shift of a 72 GHz police radar signal when it reflects off a car moving at 111 km/h? (Radar waves travel at the speed of light = 340 m/s.)

--------
f' = f(1 +- u/v) (moving observer, + appr, -receding)
f' = f/(1 +- u/v) (moving source, - appr, +receding)
--------

f = 72 GHz = 72 * 10^9 Hz.
u = 111 * 10^3 / 3600 m/s
v = 340 m/s

f' = f(1+u/v)
f'' = f(1+u/v)/(1-u/v)
f'' = (72 * 10^9 Hz)(1+(111 * 10^3 / 3600 m/s)/340)(1-(111 * 10^3 / 3600 m/s)/340)

Calculating this formula does not give the correct result. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of light is actually a lot larger than 340 m/s. It seems you're using the speed of sound instead.

Wow, that is probably the reason. The whole chapter was on sound so I thought the problem was, too, and didn't read it correctly. Did I make any other mistakes? Thanks.

I don't remember the exact formulas and don't have them handy, I just spotted the velocity error so I posted.

What is a frequency shift question?

A frequency shift question is a type of question that involves changing the frequency of a variable or event and analyzing the impact of this change on other variables or events. It is often used in scientific research and experiments to understand causal relationships between variables.

How is a frequency shift question different from other types of questions?

A frequency shift question is different from other types of questions because it focuses on manipulating the frequency of a variable or event, rather than just observing or measuring it. This allows for a deeper understanding of how changes in frequency impact other variables or events.

What are some examples of frequency shift questions?

Some examples of frequency shift questions include: How does changing the frequency of light waves affect plant growth? How does increasing the frequency of sound waves impact human hearing? How does varying the frequency of social media posts affect brand engagement?

Why are frequency shift questions important in scientific research?

Frequency shift questions are important in scientific research because they allow for the identification of cause-and-effect relationships between variables. By manipulating the frequency of a variable, scientists can determine if changes in frequency directly impact other variables, helping to establish a more robust understanding of the phenomenon being studied.

What are some potential limitations of using frequency shift questions?

Some potential limitations of using frequency shift questions include the difficulty in controlling all other variables and external factors that may impact the study, the potential for confounding variables to skew results, and the need for large sample sizes to ensure statistical significance. Additionally, frequency shift questions may not always provide a complete understanding of the underlying mechanisms at play, and further research may be needed to fully explain the observed effects.