Maximizing Chances: Letter of Recommendation for REU & Graduate School

In summary, the student is seeking advice on whether it is appropriate to ask a professor from a past REU for a letter of recommendation for a different REU at a different school. They are also wondering if it is too late to ask for a letter of rec and if attending a research university will affect their chances of getting accepted into another REU program. They are also curious about asking a professor they received a good grade from in the past for a letter of recommendation, and if they can do so through email or if they should go to their office hours. The expert suggests that it is not inappropriate to ask for a letter of recommendation from a different professor and that it is common for students to explore other opportunities. They also recommend asking the professor
roeb
I participated in an REU this past summer and at the moment I am trying to either get an internship/co-op or I would like to continue to do some more research for the summer. I have a few questions regarding letters of recommendation.

1) Is it inappropriate to ask the professor that I did the REU for this summer for a letter of recommendation for a different REU at a different school? Honestly, I don't feel like I terribly excelled during the REU or even showed that I was all that capable of anything; however, I did enjoy it. He did tell me he would write me a letter of recommendation if I ever needed it, but does it look bad because I am not applying to the same school/program?

2) Is it too late in the semester to ask for a letter of rec? The due date is in February but we are approaching Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I don't want to be rude to shove a letter request in his face right when it is getting busy.

I am always wary of asking professors for letters of rec. I would like to attend graduate school and at this point the only professor that I could really ask for a letter is this professor that I did the REU for. I would like to gain more research experience and as well as have another recommendation.

I am an EE attending a research university if that matters (perhaps my chances of getting accepted into another REU program will be slim since I go to a research uni?)

Thanks
-roeb

Physics news on Phys.org
roeb said:
Does it look bad because I am not applying to the same school/program?

Is it too late in the semester to ask for a letter of rec?

Perhaps my chances of getting accepted into another REU program will be slim since I go to a research uni?

In general, I think that the professor wouldn't expect you to return to the same institution for a second REU, and he DID offer to write a letter. It concerns me that you didn't think you performed well at the REU, but your opinion might be different than your REU adviser's opinion. He could always refuse if he doesn't think he could write a strong letter. Generally, for graduate admissions, we would look for letters of recommendation from at least one REU experience (then he'd have something on his hard drive for later if you needed it).

You've given him plenty of time if he agrees. It doesn't take that long to write a letter... I generally do it if I have at least 1 week so I can squeeze it in somewhere. You might want to send an email (update him if you've been doing anything cool in research or classes at your own university... to show him progress in achievement, etc... then ask him for recommendation and tell him you'll send a packet via express mail with instructions, forms, stamped envelope, etc.)

I'm not sure about the last... I haven't been on REU selections before and am not sure how they are done and if there is preference for applicants from smaller non-research institutions.

Thanks, for your response. I have a follow up question if I may.

There are a few REUs that I am interested in that require two letters of recommendation. Since I don't really have any other professors to write me a letter, can I just ask one that I received a good grade from in the past? I never directly talked to him (but it was like a lecture of 100 people). It's kind of in his field, so I figure that might interest him. Can I just email him or should I actually go to his office hours and ask him? I am not very impressive in person so I would honestly feel more comfortable if I did the email route.

roeb said:
I
1) Is it inappropriate to ask the professor that I did the REU for this summer for a letter of recommendation for a different REU at a different school?
No. It's expected you will explore other opportunities.
Honestly, I don't feel like I terribly excelled during the REU or even showed that I was all that capable of anything; however, I did enjoy it.
Ask him if he can write a good one if this is your concern. You don't want a luke-warm recommendation if you didn't do well, but you might just be harder on yourself than he is.

2) Is it too late in the semester to ask for a letter of rec? The due date is in February but we are approaching Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I don't want to be rude to shove a letter request in his face right when it is getting busy.
That's EARLY to ask. Most students ask with less than a month to spare before a deadline. Heh, which reminds me I have to write a recommendation letter for my former REU student that's due soon.

I am always wary of asking professors for letters of rec. I would like to attend graduate school and at this point the only professor that I could really ask for a letter is this professor that I did the REU for. I would like to gain more research experience and as well as have another recommendation.
We expect to be asked to write letters of recommendation. There is no reason to be fearful of asking. This is just part of the job we do.

Though, I would point out that in your later post you mention only knowing that one professor well enough to ask for a recommendation, and no others who know you beyond being a body in a lecture hall...you need to remedy that! Your professors need to be able to put a face to a name and a name to your performance, and know what kinds of questions you ask, etc., in order to write a good letter of reference. If all they can write is that you took their class and got a good grade, that's not going to help at all. Start showing up to office hours, ask them about grad school, anything that will help them remember who you are...in a positive way of course.

What is a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation is a document written by a person who knows you well and can provide insight into your skills, qualities, and experiences. It is typically used for job applications, college admissions, or scholarship opportunities.

Who should I ask for a letter of recommendation?

You should ask someone who knows you well and can speak positively about your abilities and character. This could be a teacher, mentor, supervisor, or colleague.

How do I request a letter of recommendation?

It is best to request a letter of recommendation in person or through email. Be sure to give the person enough time to write the letter and provide them with any necessary information, such as the application requirements and a copy of your resume or CV.

What information should I include in my request for a letter of recommendation?

When requesting a letter of recommendation, you should provide the person with the details of the opportunity you are applying for, your resume or CV, and any relevant information about your accomplishments and goals. You may also want to remind them of specific examples of your work or experiences that they can mention in the letter.

How can I ensure a strong letter of recommendation?

To ensure a strong letter of recommendation, choose someone who knows you well and can speak positively about your abilities. Provide them with all the necessary information and give them enough time to write the letter. You may also want to offer to meet with them or provide a rough draft of the letter to help guide them. Lastly, be sure to thank them for their time and effort in writing the letter.