Understanding Matrix Transpose and Examples | Learn about Matrix Transpose

In summary, we discussed the definition and use of the transpose of a matrix. The transpose is defined as the linear transformation from one vector space to another, and is represented by swapping rows and columns in the matrix representation. An application of this is finding the "closest" point to a given vector in a subspace, and we can use the generalized inverse to solve for this point. Another application is finding the least squares line through a set of points, using the transpose to solve for the coefficients.
FrankJ777
Hi

Could somebody please tell me what the use is for the transpose of a matrix, and maybe give an example if possible.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If A is a linear transformation from vector space U to vector space V, then AT is defined as the linear transformation from V to U such that < Au, v>U= < u, ATv>V where u is any vector in U, v is any vector in V and < , >U is an inner product in U and < , > is an inner product in V.

Given a basis for U and a basis for V, of course A would be represented by a matrix and AT would be represented by the "transpose" matrix: swapping rows and columns. Notice that if U is n dimensional and V is m dimensional, the matrix representing A would have n columns and m rows while AT would have m columns and n rows.

Here's an application: Suppose A is not "onto" V- that is the image is a proper subspace of V. Then we cannot, in general, solve the equation Ax= v. Such an x exists only if v happens to be in the image of A (strictly speaking the image A(U)). If v is not, what we can do is find the u in U such that Au is "closest" to v. What do we mean by "closest"? Well, geometrically, the point on A(U) (visualize it as a plane in 3 dimensions) closest to v is the one at the base of a perpendicular from v to A(U).

That is, suppose Au is the point in A(U) closest to v. The v- Au is the vector from Au to v and we want that perpendicular to A(U). That means that if w is any vector in U, Aw is in A(U) and so <Aw, v- Au>V= 0. Now, using the definition of inner product, <w, AT(v- Au)>U= 0 and since w can be any vector in U we must have AT(v- Au)U= ATv- ATAu= 0 or ATAu= ATv so u= (ATA)-1ATv. It is not necessarily true that ATA has an inverse (for example A= 0) but it may have even when A does not and if A does have an inverse, then (ATA)-1A= A-1. (ATA)-1A is referred to as a "generalized inverse" of A.

Here's a specific application of that: Suppose we want to find a line, y= ax+ b that passes through the points (x1,y1), (x2,y2[/sup]), ..., (xn,yn). Of course, a line is determined by two points so in general you can't find a single line through n points. We can, however represent this as a matrix equation:
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} x_1 & 1 \\ x2 & 2\\ ... & ... \\ x_n & 1\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} a \\ b \end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{c} y-1 \\ y_2 \\ ... \\ y_n \end{array}\right][/tex]

Of course that "2 by n" matrix has no inverse but AT is
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cccc}x_1 & x_2 & ... & x_n \\ 1 & 1 & ... & 1\end{array}\right][/tex]
AT A is the 2 by 2 matrix
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}\sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 & \sum_{i=1}^n x_i \\ \sum_{i= 1}^n x_i & n \end{array}\right][/tex]

The equation ATAu= Av would be
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}\sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 & \sum_{i=1}^n x_i \\ \sum_{i= 1}^n x_i & n \end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & b\end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{cc} x_1 & 1 \\ x2 & 2\\ ... & ... \\ x_n & 1\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} y_1 \\ y_2 \\ ... \\ y_n\end{array}\right][/tex]

You might recognize that as giving the formula for the "least squares" line, the whose total distance to the points is a minimum.

What is a matrix transpose?

A matrix transpose is an operation that switches the rows and columns of a matrix. This results in a new matrix where the rows of the original matrix become the columns, and vice versa.

Why is matrix transpose useful?

Matrix transpose is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications. It allows for easier manipulation and calculation of matrices, particularly in operations such as matrix multiplication and solving systems of equations.

How is matrix transpose performed?

To transpose a matrix, the rows and columns are switched by reflecting the elements across the main diagonal of the matrix. The first row of the original matrix becomes the first column of the transposed matrix, the second row becomes the second column, and so on.

What is the notation for matrix transpose?

The notation for matrix transpose is to add a superscript "T" to the original matrix, denoting the transposed matrix. For example, if A is the original matrix, the transposed matrix would be denoted as AT.

Is matrix transpose the same as matrix inverse?

No, matrix transpose is not the same as matrix inverse. While both operations involve manipulating the rows and columns of a matrix, matrix inverse is the operation of finding a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. Matrix transpose simply switches the rows and columns of a matrix.