Phone Not Working Inside House: DSL Still Functional?

• Thread starter begreen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Works
In summary, the phone does not work when it is plugged into the house's DSL jack, but it does work when it is plugged into the box outside of the house. The last time this happened, the DSL tech support people told me that it was probably a short in the inside wiring, and that I should wait two days and then the phone would start working on it's own.
begreen
Phone No Dial Tone DSL Works?

Hi I am new to the forum and found you by googling my problem and found someone named Ray on the forum who had something similar happen a few years ago but not the same. Here is the issue:

Phone works outside the house plugged into the box.
Phone doesn't work in any of the two jacks in the house. When I uplug DSL and hook phone up in that jack doesn't work. I can't call out just hear open line no dial tone. When someone calls me they get busy signal, (a friend tried after I asked them (via email) to call me) I only have one dsl hooked to computer and one phone in the house, nothing else. The Phone is not defective, it works at the box outside on the side of the house.
Any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org

Does your DSL work? Did you check the other similar threads at the bottom of this page?

The last time that happened when I called DSL tech support, they cleared it by sending a signal down the line.

Yes, my DSL works just fine, I have been online all day. It is just the phone that does not. When someone calls me they get busy signal. I just hear dead air when i try to call out. Phone works great at the box outside the house, but I'd like to be able to use it indoors, since it is pretty cold out there this time of year.

Last edited:

begreen said:
Yes, my DSL works just fine, I have been online all day. It is just the phone that does not. When someone calls me they get busy signal. I just hear dead air when i try to call out. Phone works great at the box outside the house, but I'd like to be able to use it indoors, since it is pretty cold out there this time of year.
What did your DSL tech support people say?

Did you unplug EVERYTHING, icluding the DSL and then have someone call? If you did, sounds like a possible short in your inside wiring.

I forgot to close this thread. The phone began working of it's own accord two days after, with no help from DSL people. They wanted to charge about 100.00 to come out and look at it. Glad I waited. The DSL never went down throughout the whole bizarre incident.

1. Why is my phone not getting a dial tone but my DSL is still working?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It is possible that there is a problem with your telephone line, such as a loose connection or a damaged wire. Another possibility is that your phone itself is faulty. It is also possible that your phone service has been temporarily disconnected or there is an outage in your area. Contact your telephone service provider to troubleshoot the issue.

2. Can I still make calls without a dial tone?

No, a dial tone is necessary for making and receiving phone calls. Without a dial tone, your phone will not be able to connect to a call.

3. Why is my DSL still working if my phone line is not?

DSL and phone services use different frequencies on the same telephone line. It is possible for your DSL service to still work even if there is an issue with your phone line. However, it is still important to address the issue with your phone line to ensure that your phone service is also functioning properly.

4. How can I fix a phone with no dial tone?

If you have confirmed that there is no issue with your telephone service provider or an outage in your area, you can try troubleshooting the issue yourself. First, check all of your phone connections to make sure they are secure. If that does not work, try using a different phone to see if the issue is with your phone itself. If the problem persists, you may need to contact a technician to repair or replace your phone line.

5. Is it normal to have no dial tone but still have DSL?

No, it is not normal to have no dial tone but still have DSL. This could indicate a problem with your phone line that needs to be addressed. Contact your telephone service provider to troubleshoot the issue.