Solving for k to Satisfy ||kA-I||<1

• Thread starter saltine
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to analytically solve for a real number scalar k to satisfy ||kA-I||<1, where A is a known matrix. The conversation also brings up the definition of a norm for a matrix and how to find the operator norm of a matrix. It concludes with the understanding that there is no simple way to solve for k in terms of the old eigenvalues or norm of the matrix, and that the solution would require using the matrix B in the calculation.
saltine

Homework Statement

How do I analytically solve for k to satisfy:
[tex]||kA-I||<1[/tex]?
Here, k is a real number scalar, A is a known matrix.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused because if A was a number, I could break it into two cases where kA-I is positive and negative. But now A is a matrix so I can't do so. How should I look at the problem and what other equations are relevant?

Suppose the norm of A is 5, e.g. A = [5 0;0 5]. Then I know that the upper limit of k is 2/5, so that kA-I can be at most [1 0;0 1]. I also know that the lower limit of k has to be 0, because if k is ever negative, the norm would be greater than one, since the norm of I is already 1.

But how do I solve for this kind of result given an arbitrary matrix A?

- Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several different definitions of "norm" of a matrix. Which are you using here?

The largest gain in magnitude to a vector:

For y = Ax, the norm of A is the largest 'a' satisfying |y| = a|x| from all possible choices of x, where |.| is the 2-norm of the vector. Does this definition make sense?

The vector norm of Ax squared is Ax.Ax (dot product). So you can find the operator norm of A by finding the square root of the largest eigenvalue of A*A^(T).

So in my original equation where I am trying to find the unknown k such that [tex]||kB-I||<1[/tex], my [tex]A[/tex] is [tex]kB-I[/tex]. To find the eigenvalues of [tex]AA^T[/tex], I do [tex]0 = \lambda I - AA^T = \lambda I - (kB-I)(kB-I)^T[/tex]

Is there a way to pull out k so that I could solve for k in terms of the old eigenvalues or the old norm?

- Thanks

I don't think you can really 'pull out the k' in any useful way. I think you just have to put the matrix B in and crank it out. It could get pretty complicated unless the matrix is small.

1. What does "Solving for k to Satisfy ||kA-I||<1" mean?

This phrase refers to finding a value for the variable k in an equation or inequality that will make the expression ||kA-I|| less than 1. The variables A and I represent matrices, which are arrays of numbers, and || || denotes the matrix norm.

2. Why is solving for k in this expression important?

This type of problem is often encountered in linear algebra and is used to find solutions to systems of equations or to determine the stability of a system. It can also be used in optimization problems.

3. How do you solve for k in this expression?

The specific steps to solve for k will depend on the values of A and I and the context of the problem. In general, you will need to use techniques such as matrix multiplication, inverse matrices, and solving systems of equations to find a value for k that satisfies the given inequality.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of k in this expression?

Yes, there are certain restrictions on the values of k that will satisfy the inequality. For example, if A is a square matrix, then the value of k must be within a certain range in order for the expression to be less than 1. In addition, k cannot be equal to 0 or any value that would result in division by 0.

5. Can this expression be solved without using matrices?

No, this expression involves matrices and their norms, so it cannot be solved without using matrix operations. However, there may be alternative ways to approach the problem depending on the context and specific values involved.