Minimum number of books I'd have to buy to make more sense of life?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's struggle with worrying about not achieving enough in life and trying to find happiness and meaning. They seek book recommendations on topics such as the potential extinction of the human race, the value of achievements, and the possibility of living again. The response suggests finding a passion, pursuing happiness, and seeking answers to existential questions on forums rather than books. The conversation also touches on the speaker's obsession with intelligence and the limitations of achieving goals for happiness.
happychild
Hi.
I worry far too much about life. Mostly about stupid stuff like "I'll never go down in history". That's the main one actually. It's getting to the point that I can't really concentrate on anything I enjoy. I sit and read up on mathematicians like Terence Tao, and ask myself constantly, "why am I not doing that?...I'm behind! He had his degree by 17, I'll be 21 by the time I get mine...that's four years". Truth is, as you probably know, I have nowhere near his passion or (probably) intelligence, and that he actually cares about maths beyond it just being a means to prove intelligence: I now spend most of my time learning maths and preparing for maths competitions in the hope I can prove my cleverness. I often do well in them, and people seem to respect me, but it brings me no happiness, I see it as a duty to get this respect. I really really want to relax, do the things I love and enjoy life while I'm young, but I just can't until I can say for sure:
"It's all futile. I should do what makes me feel happy at the time."
That's where your book recommendations come in. I want books which lean towards saying that it really is futile trying to win respect, so books on the following:
-will the human race die out, and if so, how?
-will the species that replaces us keep record of our achievements? Will it be more intelligent than us, so regard them all as crap?
-Will planet Earth eventually be destroyed? What about the universe?
-Do others actually care about the achievement of somebody else?
-Could I live again if the exact chemical makeup of my brain at this precise moment (so including all memories stored in chemical form etc) happens again, and if so, is it likely?

Physics news on Phys.org
Minimum number of books I'd have to buy to make more sense of life?

(answer is too short)

I would say learning about the world makes one happier. If you do not have a passion for math then do not pursue it. Choose an activity that you really enjoy and one that you are really excited about every time you do it. Then think of a way to work in this area as a job.

Then if you still aren't satisfied with and are of longing for 'more', come to physicsforums and ask your existential questions in a descriptive thought out lay and you will be surprised how many people can answer your questions, or if not, provide you with more questions. Answers are boring anyways, it is the question after the answer that we are intrigued with :)

I don't have any book to suggest. But I'd like to react to
happychild said:
in the hope I can prove my cleverness
Why do you give so much value to "cleverness" ? Is math the only place where intelligence shows up ? Why should clever people be happy anyway ? Would you imagine that, because [name clever person here] received so may awards for [such ability], it makes him happy, or even valuable for society ?

Many really "clever" people I know are not considered to be the nicest people around. Why would they be nice, since everybody else (to them) is so dumb ? Not even to mention the fact that other people often don't understand them. Many "clever" people are actually quite lonely.

Why do you think intelligence reduces to maths ? There are possibly infinity many other activities to exhibit some kind of intelligence. One exquisite form of intelligence is the ability to be happy. If you pursue any goal (knowledge, or money, or whatever) in order to be happy, you will never be happy. Remember, happiness is not a goal, it's a mental state. The way to achieve a goal might make you happy, but once you reached this goal ? Was achieiving a goal the only way for you not to think about your own person, to focus your attention on something else ?

happychild said:
-will the human race die out, and if so, how?
-will the species that replaces us keep record of our achievements? Will it be more intelligent than us, so regard them all as crap?
-Will planet Earth eventually be destroyed? What about the universe?
-Do others actually care about the achievement of somebody else?
-Could I live again if the exact chemical makeup of my brain at this precise moment (so including all memories stored in chemical form etc) happens again, and if so, is it likely?

You don't need books to answer these questions, I'll help you out.
-Will the human race die out, and if so, how? Yes. If we can out live our sun by traveling then we will die out when we run out of energy sources
-will the species that replaces us keep record of our achievements? Will it be more intelligent than us, so regard them all as crap? No species will replace us.
-Will planet Earth eventually be destroyed?yes, when the sun turns into a red giant. the universe? no, but it will become very cold and lonely
-Do others actually care about the achievement of somebody else? Only rarely, but lots of people actually care about other people themselves not what they've done.
-Could I live again if the exact chemical makeup of my brain at this precise moment (so including all memories stored in chemical form etc) happens again, and if so, is it likely? well, you'd probably want the rest of your body as well as your brain, and you need to go deeper than the chemical makeup and get the exact same quantum state of every particle you are made of, but yes if you could do that you would live again. Is it likely? no, it won't happen.

1. How many books do I need to buy to make more sense of life?

The answer to this question depends on the individual and their goals. Some people may find meaning and understanding in just one book, while others may need to read multiple books on various topics to gain a better understanding of life.

2. What types of books should I read to make more sense of life?

This also varies depending on the individual. Some may find comfort and understanding in self-help or philosophical books, while others may prefer scientific or religious texts. It's important to explore different genres and find what resonates with you.

3. Can reading books really help me make more sense of life?

Reading books can definitely provide insights and perspectives on life, but it's ultimately up to the individual to apply what they learn and make their own meaning out of it.

4. How do I know if a book will help me make more sense of life?

It's important to do some research and read reviews before purchasing a book. Look for books that align with your interests and values, and have positive feedback from others who have read it.

5. Is it necessary to buy books to make more sense of life?

No, it is not necessary to buy books to make more sense of life. There are many other ways to gain understanding and meaning, such as through personal experiences, conversations with others, and introspection. However, books can be a valuable tool in this journey.