Dark Matter/Dark Energy/unified constant? I need answers

• Thread starter RockyRaccoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation discusses the topics of dark matter, dark energy, and the expansion and eventual fate of the universe. Some believe in the existence of dark matter due to inconsistencies in mathematical calculations, while others are skeptical. Dark energy is also a topic of debate, with some theorizing it as the cause of the universe's accelerating expansion. There is also speculation on the possibility of a Big Bang event caused by an infinite, exponential growth and speed. The conversation delves into the complexities of the universe and the need to consider quantum physics in understanding its phases and fate. There are also theories about the possibility of a closed universe or multiverse and the potential for exchanges between universes.
RockyRaccoon
First, I want to introduce myself. I plan on hanging out here so I am hoping your community will embrace my inexperience and untrained mind for these types of discussions.

I am an artist and can barely calculate a tip on my dinner bill. But science fascinates me. Especially anything physics related (matter, gravity, strings, dark (fill in the blank) are all things I love to learn about. Biology is an area that only interests me when evolution is considered - not the species itself as it exists today. But the species as it exists and why through the course of evolution it looks, behaves and is composed the way it is. Moth of these, including evolution, lead me back to the beginning - as it does for all of us. Or at least millionths of a second back to the beginning. It might at well be an eternity then that is where I am at right now...

Anyway, thanks for reading. I will follow up this post with some questions that I hope you can shed light on. I am looking forward to doing the same for you. Thanks.

-Taylor Bayouth

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Unified Constant?

Dark matter. We know it exists only because there are inconsistencies
in our math when we attempt to weight large objects - like galaxies.
First I want to say this makes me uncomfortable in that we are filling
a problem in our formulas with "matter" that doesn't even exist.
Similar to how we think matter should exist. OK, so that is that - I'm
not convinced.

Second topic. Dark ENERGY. I just learned about it and it (like dark
matter) is the cox to fill in our misaligned theorems for measuring
cosmic speed on large scales. Most scientists agree that the universe is speeding up.
This requires more energy than we have calculated in the observable universe
and therefore we have similarly theorized "dark energy".

NOW. Let's, for arguments sake say that our predictions
about dark energy are correct. This means we have energy
speeding up at an exponential rate governed by nothing.
The question is... Does an infinite, exponential growth and/or speed
lead to something? Could an event like this lead to a Big Bang?
Is the limit of light speed simply a subordinate structure
within a grandiose, unified constant?

-Taylor

Last edited:
Maybe, but I think that the rate of expansion will undeniably lead to the big rip, when all galaxies will be very very very far apart from each other. So far, they won't be seen. We happen to be in the time spot of the universe that allows us to see galaxies, and we're in the Milky Way, our center of the universe.

I believe dark matter is existent because of black holes and their effects.
I'm not sure about dark energy, because all it's based off of is space and acceleration of galaxies, and nobody knows what it really is, whether it's the quintessance or the cosmo constant, they're both very hard to grasp as real things.

Perhaps we have the wrong theory for matter, space, or time, and that the next set of observations and anomolies will lead us to understand that we've had what we see all wrong. Even with such advanced instruments, it's still possible to be very wrong as to the truth of what energy, space, and time are, even though we can predict certain things about it.

Right now I am watching THE KNOWN UNIVERSE on NatGeo. The expansion of the universe, dark matter,dark energy,etc. Once upon a time,in this forum,there was the discussion about the idea that the galaxies are "shrinking", I preferrred the term "condensing", along with the expansion of space,anyway...
We have perceived,accelerating expansion of the universe. I think of ,"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction".Okay, so what? Well I'm not a physicist. There's an action...
I have studied and attempted art and visual design also. Why do I feel that physicists, astro-physicists are thinking in a 2-dimensional way? I can't help feeling a weird kind of turning inside out like that animation of the 3-dimensional shadow of a rotating tesseract.

A black hole is a galactic drive engine. A black hole sucks in energy,matter and space (I think) compressing it all and screwing it up then spewing it back "out" as expanding space/time. Can't you see it? heh heh heh heh

I have a theory that suggests we're either in a closed universe or a closed multiverse. There is hope that the universe doesn't just expand under acceleration until the stars burn out, leaving nothing but fragments of a dead, decaying universe forever in a state of acceleration due to dark energy's seemingly inexhaustible push against matter.

The first phase we're aware of was the expansion of the universe from a singularity. The current phase is an accelerating expansion of the universe. What will be the next phase, if one is on the horizon perhaps many billions of years from now?

We've got to include quantum physics in the equation. We have to wonder if there's a point at which the expansion of the universe changes things in the quantum world or if possible changes in the quantum world, which may also have many phases, causes phases within our universe or multiverse. It seems to be a tit for tat reality, but something in one world or another must initiate a phase change.

Since we've established that space is not an empty vacuum and that particles pop in and out of space from seemingly nowhere, we've got to wonder if more and more particles (matter affected by gravity) pop into the universe at some point of its expansion to gradually slow it down and eventually start a big crush. There may be some other unknown force or forces that initiate a contraction at a certain point of expansion. The end result could be the return to the singularity from which the universe sprang.

Perhaps the observable universe has eternally expanded and contracted and is a closed system. If the system is more complex and there is a multiverse, perhaps the exchanges between universes within the system causes some within the group to expand as others contract. The quantum world may be what keeps everything in phase - whatever that phase happens to be at a 'given' time and space.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light and cannot be directly observed or detected by traditional scientific instruments. It is estimated to make up around 85% of the total matter in the universe and is believed to play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies.

2. How is dark matter different from normal matter?

Dark matter is different from normal matter in several ways. It does not interact with light, it does not emit or absorb electromagnetic radiation, and it does not have electric charge. This makes it difficult to detect and study using traditional methods.

3. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is believed to make up around 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe and is completely different from dark matter.

4. What is the unified constant?

The unified constant is a theoretical concept that attempts to unify the theories of dark matter and dark energy. It suggests that both dark matter and dark energy are manifestations of a single underlying force or energy field that is responsible for the expansion and structure of the universe.

5. How do scientists study dark matter and dark energy?

Scientists study dark matter and dark energy through a variety of methods, including gravitational lensing, galaxy rotation curves, and observations of the cosmic microwave background. They also use advanced technologies such as particle accelerators and telescopes to search for and study these elusive phenomena.