Maximum and Minimum Forces for Elevator Design

In summary, the problem asks for the maximum and minimum force that the motor should exert on the supporting cable of an elevator with a mass of 4950 kg and a maximum acceleration of 6.10×10-2g. Using the equation ΣF=ma and assuming a=0.061g, the maximum force is calculated to be 51500 N. The minimum force is not specified in the conversation.
Hotsuma

Homework Statement

An elevator mass 4950 kg is to be designed so that the maximum acceleration is 6.10×10-2g.

What is the maximum force the motor should exert on the supporting cable?

What is the minimum force the motor should exert on the supporting cable?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[\tex]F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this should be so easy, but Mastering Physics is not liking my answers. I have tried multiplying the combined forces of acceleration and gravity multiplied over the mass to get a large force, that answer was incorrect. I noticed that the units of acceleration is in 'g', which caused me to believe they were referencing that amount multiplied by gravity instead of added to it, which resulted in another answer MP did not like. My results:

F = 48800 N
F = 2960 N

Three significant figures, neither of those answers were correct (this is for Fmax). I am afraid I am missing something really critical, and wanted to get another opinion. Maybe I'm approaching this problem in the wrong way?

Physics news on Phys.org
"combined forces of acceleration and gravity" sounds really good! But doesn't lead to the numbers you got. It would be interesting to see the details of your calculation.
F = ma + mg = ?

Well mg + ma does equal 48800 N rounded to the number of significant figures the problem asks for.

The calculation I referred to is: 4950*(g+a), which equals 48900... Hmm...

Well, I only have one guess left, and I know that 48900 is not correct.

Ah, you are using a=0.061! It should be a = 0.061*9.81.

So it should be calculated as such:

F = mga + mg = 51500N. Is this right?

What about finding the minimum force?

What is Maximum/Minimum Force?

Maximum/Minimum Force is a term used in physics to describe the upper and lower limits of force that can be applied to an object.

How is Maximum/Minimum Force measured?

Maximum/Minimum Force is typically measured in Newtons (N) using a force meter or a scale. It can also be calculated by multiplying mass by acceleration.

What is the difference between Maximum and Minimum Force?

Maximum Force is the highest amount of force that can be applied to an object before it breaks or deforms, while Minimum Force is the lowest amount of force needed to cause movement in an object.

What factors affect Maximum/Minimum Force?

The factors that affect Maximum/Minimum Force include the material properties of the object, its size and shape, and the environment in which it is being tested.

Why is understanding Maximum/Minimum Force important?

Understanding Maximum/Minimum Force is crucial in engineering and design, as it helps determine the strength and durability of materials and structures. It is also important in sports and physical activities to prevent injuries and optimize performance.