Wireless Electricity: Exploring Possibilities

In summary: But as far as mobile devices are concerned, they are just like any other appliance in your home - with the exception of the fact that you might be using them frequently while they are transmitting.I doubt the efficiency can ever be very high. There are losses in converting from AC-DC, DC-RF, coupling loss, RF-DC and maybe DC-AC.MIT has been working on that for a while.
DuncanM
I came across an interesting story today and thought I would share it here.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/132/brilliant.html"

Neat stuff.

Although I do wonder, even if they get it working and feasible for large-scale adoption, would there be any adverse health affects? (I sometimes read articles in magazines like "Popular Mechanics" and "Popular Science" about how groups are considering producing power in space and beaming it down to Earth as microwaves. I don't think I'd feel comfortable living in a large microwave oven. Or being surrounded by RFID devices. Or living under power lines. etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
DuncanM said:
I came across an interesting story today and thought I would share it here.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/132/brilliant.html"

Neat stuff.

Although I do wonder, even if they get it working and feasible for large-scale adoption, would there be any adverse health affects? (I sometimes read articles in magazines like "Popular Mechanics" and "Popular Science" about how groups are considering producing power in space and beaming it down to Earth as microwaves. I don't think I'd feel comfortable living in a large microwave oven. Or being surrounded by RFID devices. Or living under power lines. etc.)

MIT has been working on that for a while.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2007/techtalk51-30.pdf

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2007/wireless-0607.html

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
I think health concerns will be a major issue here and because of the necessity of some sort of power focussing any applications will be limited to static components.

I doubt the efficiency can ever be very high. There are losses in converting from AC-DC, DC-RF, coupling loss, RF-DC and maybe DC-AC.

Makes a lot more sense to just run a wire and have no conversions or just one; AC-DC.

Charging pads will no doubt be an expanding market, though I think a limited one because of one critical problem: people won't want to carry around the charging apparatus attached to their cell phone all the time. Power transmitted across the room to power a laptop computer? Never going to happen. It is far too inefficient and again, you'd need a couple of pounds of coils or a big dish attached to the back of your laptop for it to work at all.

For health concerns, low frequency EMF (power lines) have none. Microwaves obviously have some, particularly for the space-based power station idea.

1. What is wireless electricity?

Wireless electricity refers to the transmission of electrical energy without the use of physical wires or cables. It is achieved through technologies such as electromagnetic induction, resonant inductive coupling, and radio frequency energy harvesting.

2. How does wireless electricity work?

Wireless electricity works by converting electrical energy into electromagnetic waves, which can then be transmitted through the air. These waves are received by a receiver device, which converts them back into electrical energy that can power electronic devices.

3. What are the potential benefits of wireless electricity?

The potential benefits of wireless electricity include convenience and flexibility in charging electronic devices, reduction in clutter caused by cords and cables, and the possibility of powering devices in hard-to-reach or remote locations. It also has the potential to reduce energy waste and increase efficiency.

4. Are there any safety concerns with wireless electricity?

There are some safety concerns with wireless electricity, as the technology involves the transmission of electromagnetic waves. However, with proper regulations and safety measures in place, the risks can be minimized. Additionally, most wireless electricity systems operate at low power levels, making them safe for everyday use.

5. Is wireless electricity widely available?

Wireless electricity is still in the early stages of development, and while there are some products on the market that use this technology, it is not yet widely available. However, with ongoing research and advancements in the field, it is expected that wireless electricity will become more prevalent in the future.