Suggestions for dynamics textbook

In summary, the conversation discusses the recommendation of a textbook on dynamics for the subject areas of Newton's laws, friction, energy and work, angular momentum, and more. The options mentioned include Beer et al., Riley & Sturges, Meriam & Kraige, Hibbeler, Bedford & Fowler, Taylor's classical mechanics, and Kleppner & Kolenkow. The textbooks vary in their emphasis and applications, with some geared towards engineers and others towards physicists. The OP is studying engineering and is considering the options given.
springo
Hi,

I just wanted to know if there's any particular textbook on dynamics that you would suggest. I've been thinking of buying the one by Beer et al. or Riley & Sturges, because they are the ones suggested by our teachers. However we're not using them in class and I also saw other books by Meriam & Kraige, Hibbeler, Bedford & Fowler, etc.

Is there any particular textbook that you would suggest?

Thanks a lot for your help.

PS: I need to cover the following subjects: Newton's laws, friction, dynamics with frames of reference in translation/rotation, energy and work, angular momentum, simple harmonic motion, particle systems, shocks and plane rigid body dynamics (inc. energy). However it would be great if it covered 3D rigid body dynamics and vibrations, because then I'd be able to use it next semester too.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor's classical mechanics?

It also contains what you will learn in your second and third class in classical mechanics, the theory of special relativity and Lagrange and Hamiltonian formalism of mechanics.

Kleppner & Kolenkow? Or maybe something more advanced?

The OP's textbooks are geared toward engineers, not physicists.
They differ by emphasis and choice of applications.
(For example, you won't find much on the method of sections in a physicist's mechanics text.)

Thanks guys I'm checking those out. FYI, I'm studying engineering.

1. What is the best dynamics textbook for beginners?

The best dynamics textbook for beginners would depend on the level of the student and their specific needs. Some popular options include "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" by Russell C. Hibbeler and "Fundamentals of Engineering Dynamics" by Andrew Pytel and Jaan Kiusalaas.

2. How do I choose a dynamics textbook that is suitable for my course?

When choosing a dynamics textbook, consider the level of the course, the topics covered, and the teaching style of the instructor. It is also helpful to read reviews and compare different textbooks to find one that aligns with your course objectives.

3. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials that can enhance my understanding of dynamics?

Yes, there are many online resources and supplementary materials available for dynamics textbooks. These may include interactive simulations, practice problems, and lecture notes. Some textbooks also have accompanying websites with additional resources.

4. What should I look for in a dynamics textbook to ensure it is comprehensive and covers all necessary topics?

A comprehensive dynamics textbook should cover all the fundamental concepts and principles of dynamics, such as kinematics, kinetics, and Newton's laws. It should also include real-world examples, practice problems, and explanations of key concepts. Additionally, the textbook should have a clear and organized structure.

5. Are there any dynamics textbooks that are specifically designed for self-study?

Yes, there are several dynamics textbooks that are designed for self-study, such as "Engineering Dynamics: A Comprehensive Introduction" by N. Jeremy Kasdin and Derek A. Paley and "Dynamics: Theory and Applications" by T.R. Kane, D.A. Levinson, and D.A. Schiesser. These textbooks typically have a self-paced learning approach with step-by-step examples and practice problems.