Which Field Do You Consider Your Main Area of Expertise?

• Thread starter Unknot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the conversation was about a poll that was created, but some people did not feel that their field was represented. The choices for the poll were listed in alphabetical order and included various scientific fields, with the option for "none of the above." Some participants discussed their own fields and how it may fall into multiple disciplines. One person made a joke about the term "ring" in mathematics, while another questioned the relevance of the term "group." The conversation also touched on the development of technology and how it has impacted different fields. In the end, there were votes for various fields, including engineering, physics, mathematics, and technology, with some individuals considering themselves to be in more than one discipline.

What is your main field?

• Biology

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Chemistry

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Computer Science

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Engineering

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Mathematics

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Other Natural Sciences

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Physics

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • Social Science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 8 11.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unknot
I tried to find a poll like this but I failed. So I *suppose* it has never been done before.

If I left your field out, I apologize.

Choices are, in alphabetical order:

Biology
Chemistry
Computer Science
Engineering
Mathematics
Other Natural Sciences
Physics
Social Science

and of course, none of the above.

I think that covers most of us.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics.

Unknot said:
If I left your field out, I apologize.

Then, for some here, your group isn't big enough, and none of the possibilities will ring true.

I'm really interested to find out what those people do. But when I was making the poll I was doubting that there was any "none of the above" person here.

Some people's work may span two or more disciplines, e.g. math/physics, or engineering/physics.

An example of three disciplines might be chemistry/physics/engineering for someone working in fundamental research in corrosion, particularly in corrosion in radiation environments.

That's true and I considered enabling multiple selection, but I was afraid it might be "wrong" statistics because then number of votes won't be number of people voted.

I voted physics, but would class myself as more maths/physics.

George Jones said:
Then, for some here, your group isn't big enough, and none of the possibilities will ring true.

Unknot said:
I'm really interested to find out what those people do. But when I was making the poll I was doubting that there was any "none of the above" person here.
George was making a funny. I guess he expected that someone into knots might have come across groups and rings in their field of study.

Gokul43201 said:
George was making a funny. I guess he expected that someone into knots might have come across groups and rings in their field of study.

Yes, I eventually got it. The first time I really didn't know what he was saying, but eventually... yes, eventually. :wink:

George Jones said:
But why "ring" ? I mean, the term "group" may somehow make sense, at least it is vague enough, but what suggests the term "ring" as being relevant to the "ring" structure ? I never got it frankly. It's the exact same term in french and does not make any more sense. As for "field" (algebraic), in french it's called a "body", and again, I don't see how that should be suggestive of the algebraic structure thus named.

I'm in experimental high energy astrophysics. On the side, I also try and think of shorter names for my discipline.

humanino said:
But why "ring" ? I mean, the term "group" may somehow make sense, at least it is vague enough, but what suggests the term "ring" as being relevant to the "ring" structure ? I never got it frankly. It's the exact same term in french and does not make any more sense. As for "field" (algebraic), in french it's called a "body", and again, I don't see how that should be suggestive of the algebraic structure thus named.

Well Z does look like a ring and Q does look like a field... what I don't get is "group".

or is that my overactive imagination? :uhh:

Unknot said:
Well Z does look like a ring and Q does look like a field... what I don't get is "group".
:rofl:
I have to little imagination to be a mathematician then, it's that simple.

Unknot said:
I'm "none of the above" I'm in technology, data networks to be exact.

Evo said:
That would make you 'notabove'? :biggrin:

The internet did not exist when we were in high school, although the telecommunications networks did exist. I used to use dial-up on a time-shared mainframe. The grad students in our engineering department installed the first network, and we subsequently hooked our network to the university's network. I was able to get into other computers across the nation on what was some kind of network, possibly the precursor to the internet, but the syntax was something like - node1::node2:: . . . ::destination

I'm a lipid biochemist so I just voted chemistry.

I voted for engineering. It's ideal.

Student...

I prefer the algebraic numbers myself

I have worked as a process chemist in a pulp mill, as a programmer/troubleshooter during the automation of some power-boilers, and as a consultant in all of the above. None of it had buttons to click.

Office_Shredder said:
I prefer the algebraic numbers myself

:rofl:

Ah, a fellow math geek!

Evo said:

would that count as computer science?

It was here field.wmv, but now it's a storage place. I was out standing in that field. Oh wait, the question wasn't "where is your main field"? I sit corrected, apparently I'm the first computer science voter (programmer).

I'm grad student of Mathematical Modelling. This ties down physics and applied math but I have my Bachelor's degree from physics so I consider myself to be a physicist.

Last edited:
I'm a Carpenter. Everyone seems to be in a related field. I was thinking there would be more here who maintain their scientific interests part-time.

Evo said:

Data networking company, with a ceo earning 70mil/year. I don't think it is Cisco. What is it, if you don't mind?

redargon said:
would that count as computer science?
No.

jobyts said:
Data networking company, with a ceo earning 70mil/year. I don't think it is Cisco. What is it, if you don't mind?
It's one of those multi-billion companies, don't want to say.

Would medical sciences fit anywhere?

Financial sector is a clear 'none of the above".

come on engineers, we're almost up to the number of physicists.

Well I'm mostly baryonic matter, so I'd go with 'chromodynamic'.

redargon said:

I have degrees in engineering and physics so I could vote either way. Let the bribing begin!

I also don't knw to vote for which!:tongue:hmmm...maybe none is the best answer for me.

Tom Mattson said:
I have degrees in engineering and physics so I could vote either way. Let the bribing begin!

But you're a mathematician:uhh:

redargon said:

I'm a computer engineer. I clicked for the Computer science. I should have voted for the Engineering and got the bribe.

I don't really qualify for the poll. I teach English in Korea with my B.Sc. in physics and B.A. in music. Good at everything, great at nothing kind of person.

Lisa! said:
But you're a mathematician:uhh:

Not by training I'm not. I have a BS in Engineering and and MS in Physics.

1. What is your main area of expertise?

As a scientist, my main area of expertise is in the field of biology, specifically in molecular biology and genetics.

2. How did you become an expert in this field?

I obtained a Bachelor's degree in biology and then pursued a Master's and PhD in molecular biology. Through years of research and experience, I have developed a deep understanding and expertise in this field.

3. What are some recent developments or breakthroughs in your field of expertise?

In recent years, there have been significant advancements in gene editing technologies such as CRISPR-Cas9, which have revolutionized the field of genetics. Additionally, the discovery of new genes and their functions has greatly expanded our understanding of molecular processes.

4. How do you stay updated on the latest research and advancements in your field?

As a scientist, it is crucial to stay updated on the latest research and advancements in my field. I regularly attend conferences and seminars, read scientific journals and publications, and collaborate with other experts in the field to stay informed.

5. What advice do you have for someone interested in pursuing a career in your field?

I would advise them to develop a strong foundation in biology and gain research experience through internships or volunteer opportunities. It is also important to stay curious, motivated, and open to new ideas and approaches in this constantly evolving field.