Is Immunotherapy a Viable Long-Term Solution for Spring Allergies?

• Medical
  • Thread starter waht
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles of spring allergies and the various methods used to treat them. The speaker is curious about a specific immunotherapy treatment and asks for others' experiences with it. They also mention trying natural remedies and making lifestyle changes to alleviate allergies.
waht
Does anyone suffer from spring allergies?

I've been to many doctors before, and took just about every pill there is and will be, to curb its effects. Sometimes the meds work, and sometimes the side effects are worst than the allergy itself. Needless to say, it's difficult to function in the spring, and will have to take many days off from work during peak season.

But this year, the doc suggested an expensive immunotherapy, where I will have to take antigen shots for two years. And that should basically kill the allergies for many years to come.

So wondering if anyone took such a treatment and what the results were?

Biology news on Phys.org
waht said:
Does anyone suffer from spring allergies?

I've been to many doctors before, and took just about every pill there is and will be, to curb its effects. Sometimes the meds work, and sometimes the side effects are worst than the allergy itself. Needless to say, it's difficult to function in the spring, and will have to take many days off from work during peak season.

But this year, the doc suggested an expensive immunotherapy, where I will have to take antigen shots for two years. And that should basically kill the allergies for many years to come.

So wondering if anyone took such a treatment and what the results were?

That sounds pretty extreme! Id be researching how it works, why and what the side effects are. I have pretty bad allergies myself, and I am in the same boat you are, nothing seems to work, and if it does the side effects are not worth it. I got rid of all carpets in my house, replaced the furniture with leather, and bought a dehumidifier to help keep mold out, and that really helped. I am also a big fan of trying to do things the natural way before resorting to meds. I have a friend (who is a doctor) who knew I was searching for natural ways to combat my allergies, and she told me about some recent studies that suggest a lot of immune problems are related to vitamin deficiencies. I started a multivitamin, and it makes me feel pretty good as a general rule, but I can't say whether is helped my allergies because I revamped my house around the same time.

I can understand the frustration and inconvenience of dealing with allergies during springtime. It is a common problem that affects many people and can greatly impact daily life. While medication can be helpful, it often comes with unwanted side effects. Immunotherapy, as suggested by your doctor, is a promising option for long-term relief from allergies. It works by gradually exposing the body to small amounts of the allergen, helping the immune system build tolerance and reduce symptoms. While it may be expensive and require a commitment of two years, the potential benefits of long-term relief make it a worthwhile consideration. I would recommend discussing the treatment further with your doctor and possibly seeking out testimonials from others who have undergone the therapy to get a better understanding of its effectiveness. Ultimately, it's important to find a solution that works for you and allows you to enjoy the spring season without the burden of allergies.

1. What are the common symptoms of allergies around the corner?

Common symptoms of allergies around the corner include sneezing, runny nose, itchy and watery eyes, congestion, and coughing. These symptoms may also be accompanied by fatigue, headache, and sore throat.

2. What causes allergies around the corner?

Allergies around the corner are caused by an overreaction of the immune system to substances in the environment. These substances, known as allergens, can include pollen, dust, pet dander, and mold.

3. How can I prevent allergies around the corner?

To prevent allergies around the corner, it is important to avoid exposure to allergens. This can be done by keeping windows and doors closed, using an air purifier, regularly cleaning and dusting your home, and avoiding outdoor activities when pollen counts are high.

4. Are there any effective treatments for allergies around the corner?

Yes, there are several treatments available for allergies around the corner. These include over-the-counter antihistamines, nasal sprays, and eye drops. In more severe cases, a doctor may prescribe allergy shots or oral medications to manage symptoms.

5. Can allergies around the corner be cured?

Unfortunately, there is currently no cure for allergies around the corner. However, symptoms can be effectively managed through avoidance of allergens and use of medications. In some cases, allergies may improve or even disappear over time.