Problem: electrolysis & lime coating wires

In summary, a project was built to detect the water level in a reservoir using a 7-segment display. However, the wires used for detection become coated with lime and other materials, preventing proper current flow and causing the project to stop working. A solution may be to use stainless steel wires instead, as they are less prone to deterioration. Another suggestion is to measure capacitance instead of running current through the water.
hazim
Hi all.

I build a project that detects the level of the water reservoir and shows that digitally using the 7-segment display... It worked...
This requires a wire with positive voltage (5V) to be at the bottom of the water reservoir (it's a copper - network wire) and a number of detecting/sensor lines (wires) at each level to be detected... I hope I explained it clearly:confused:
The problem is that the wires become coated with lime (the sensing wires/at the levels, these wires become connected to the negative terminal when water covers them) and the positive wire at the bottom becomes coated with green and white materials... this prevents current to flow between the wires as it should and then the project do not work probebly.. When I clean the wires it works perfect but after some hours it comes back to the same problem...

What do you advice me to do?? how could I solve this obstacle??

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This circuit (EDN 2001) uses ac signals and capacitance to measure water level. There is no DC water conductance measurement.

Attachments

• Watersens1.jpg
    Watersens1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 425
  • watersens2.jpg
    watersens2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 363
It sounds like you have created a small electrolytic cell. The wire itself participates in chemical reactions so it eventually becomes coated with this greenish junk. Eventually, the wire will probably crumble due to deterioration. Using stainless steel for the portion of the circuit in the water may be better in the long run. It won't deteriorate as quickly. Yet do note that it isn't as conductive as copper either.

BobS is correct here. You just don't want to detect water by running current through it. Measure the capacitance instead, it's how it's how 'real' sensors do it.

The project is a water level inditicator that shows digitally the number of water barrels in a reservoir. It works fine, but my only problem is the chemical reactions that are happening... they are makes the wires (in the water) coated with lime and greenish materials, these materials are the problem, they are preventing current flow... After I cleaned the wires, the device worked and it still working for now... (about 30 hour till now..). Maybe stainless is a good idea, I will ask a chemistry instructor for this purpose anyway...

1. What is the purpose of electrolysis in relation to lime coating wires?

Electrolysis is a chemical process that involves using an electric current to break down a substance. In the case of lime coating wires, electrolysis is used to remove the lime buildup by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable particles.

2. How does electrolysis remove lime coating from wires?

During electrolysis, an electric current is passed through the wire, which causes a chemical reaction that breaks down the lime into smaller particles. These particles can then be easily removed from the wire, leaving it clean and free of lime coating.

3. Can any type of wire be treated with electrolysis to remove lime coating?

Yes, electrolysis can be used on most types of wires to remove lime coating. However, it is important to consider the material of the wire and the strength of the electric current being used to ensure that the wire is not damaged during the process.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when using electrolysis to remove lime coating from wires?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when using electrolysis, as it involves working with electricity and potentially hazardous chemicals. It is recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to follow proper procedures for handling and disposing of chemicals.

5. How long does it take for electrolysis to remove lime coating from wires?

The duration of the electrolysis process will vary depending on the strength of the electric current, the amount of lime coating, and the type of wire being treated. In general, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours to remove the lime coating from wires using electrolysis.