Cosmology Explains Uneven Universe Density & Matter/Anti-Matter

In summary, cosmology explains that the creation of the universe was not a perfect uniform event in all directions. Cosmic inflation smooths out the universe but also creates tiny deviations that lead to the formation of structures. As for anti-matter, it appears to attract just like matter and is still under heavy research. Dark energy is a proposed solution for the recent accelerated expansion but we don't know which one is accurate yet.
cam875
how does cosmology explain that the creation of the universe was not a perfect uniform event in all directions type thing. I mean if you took a chunk of the universe and looked at it the density of matter wouldn't be uniform some planets are bigger than others and so forth. Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way but the initial creation would have to be pretty bizarre i think to produce what exists.

And does anti matter repel matter? since matter attracts matter I thought anti matter would attract anti matter and anti matter and matter would repel.

Space news on Phys.org
cam875 said:
how does cosmology explain that the creation of the universe was not a perfect uniform event in all directions type thing.
Cosmic inflation smooths out the universe, while also providing tiny deviations from absolute uniformity that seed structure formation.

cam875 said:
And does anti matter repel matter? since matter attracts matter I thought anti matter would attract anti matter and anti matter and matter would repel.
You mean gravitationally? So far it appears that it attracts just like matter attracts.

so in other words its still under heavy research seeing as I just saw another article on dark energy and expansion in SciAm. Is dark energy the solution to what is causing the expansion?

cam875 said:
so in other words its still under heavy research seeing as I just saw another article on dark energy and expansion in SciAm. Is dark energy the solution to what is causing the expansion?
Dark energy is a name given to a class of proposed causes of the recent accelerated expansion. We don't yet know which, if any, of the proposed solutions is accurate.

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the branch of science that studies the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe as a whole.

2. How does cosmology explain the uneven distribution of matter and anti-matter in the universe?

Cosmologists believe that in the early stages of the universe, there was an equal amount of matter and anti-matter. However, due to a process called baryogenesis, matter came to dominate over anti-matter, resulting in the uneven distribution we see today.

3. What is the significance of the uneven distribution of matter and anti-matter in the universe?

The uneven distribution of matter and anti-matter is crucial in understanding the formation of the universe. It helps explain why matter dominates over anti-matter and how galaxies and other structures were able to form.

4. How does cosmology explain the density of the universe?

Cosmologists use various methods, such as studying the cosmic microwave background radiation and measuring the expansion of the universe, to determine the density of the universe. These methods have shown that the universe is made up of mostly dark matter and dark energy, with only a small fraction being ordinary matter.

5. Can cosmology explain the origin of the universe?

While cosmology can provide theories and explanations for the origin of the universe, it is still an ongoing area of research and there is no definitive answer yet. Some theories, such as the Big Bang theory, suggest that the universe began with a massive explosion, while others propose the concept of a multiverse or a cyclical universe. Further research and advancements in technology may help us better understand the origin of the universe.