Finding the Scalar Potential for a Complex 3D Conservative Force

In summary, the conversation is about finding the scalar potential for a conservative force given in three vector components as normal. The force's complexity is causing confusion and the individual is unsure of where to start. The proposed solution involves showing an attempt at the solution and using the equation V = (integral) F.dx, but there is uncertainty about its applicability in this case.
Master J
I have a conservative force given in three vector components as normal. Each component is a function of x, y and z.

I need to find the scalar potential. I am a bit confused about this because of the force's complexity.

I know the V = (integral) F.dx, for a 1 dimensional problem, but i amn't sure for this one.

So where do I start?

As always, thanks for the great help guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you have to show your attempt at the solution before help can be given. However, I will say that

[tex] \vec F = F_{x}\hat x + F_{y} \hat y + F_{z} \hat z = -\vec \nabla \phi [/tex]

[tex] F_{x}=-\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} , F_{y}=-\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y} ,F_{z}=-\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z} [/tex]

What is scalar potential in 3D?

Scalar potential in 3D refers to a mathematical function that describes the potential energy at any point in a three-dimensional space. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction.

How is scalar potential different from vector potential?

Scalar potential and vector potential are both used to describe the potential energy of a system, but they differ in their mathematical representations. Scalar potential is a scalar quantity, whereas vector potential is a vector quantity and has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, scalar potential tells us the amount of energy at a point, while vector potential tells us the direction in which that energy is flowing.

How is scalar potential related to electric potential?

Electric potential is a type of scalar potential that specifically describes the potential energy of a system due to electric charges. It is used to calculate the work done in moving a charge from one point to another in an electric field. Scalar potential in 3D is a more general term and can describe potential energy in various types of systems, not just electric ones.

What is the unit of measurement for scalar potential in 3D?

The unit of measurement for scalar potential in 3D depends on the specific type of potential being described. In general, it is measured in joules (J), which is the unit for energy. However, if we are specifically talking about electric potential, it is measured in volts (V).

How is scalar potential calculated in 3D?

Scalar potential in 3D is calculated using a mathematical tool called a scalar potential function. This function takes into account the distance between points, the strength of the potential, and the distribution of charges or forces in the system. It is typically represented by the symbol V and can be written as V(x,y,z) where x, y, and z are the coordinates of a point in the three-dimensional space.