Alternate Representations of Lorentz Generators Mμν

In summary, there are multiple representations of the Lorentz generators M\mu\nu as 4x4 matrices, and they satisfy the commutation relation of the Lie algebra of O(3,1). However, there are also infinitely many other representations, such as the 2x2 matrices obtained by taking the Kronecker product with the 2x2 identity. Additionally, the universal cover of the restricted Lorentz group, SL(2,C), also has isomorphic Lie algebras, allowing for the 2x2 representation of M\mu\nu to be obtained from it. This can be done by defining certain parameters and using a matrix equation to represent elements of SL(2,C) close to the identity
sshaep
I know the representations of Lorentz generators M[tex]\mu\nu[/tex] as 4X4 matrices.

This matrices satisfy the commutation relation(Lie algebra of O(3,1))

However I think these 4X4 matrix representations are not unique.

Is there any other representations satisfying the commutation relation? 2X2 matrix or

another?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there are infinitely many representations of the Lorentz algebra. One trivial example is to form a set of 8x8 matrices by taking the Kronecker product of M with the 2x2 identity.

sshaep said:
Is there any other representations satisfying the commutation relation? 2X2 matrix or another?

Because [itex]SL \left(2 , \mathbb{C} \right)[/itex] is the universal cover of the restricted Lorentz group, they have isomorphic Lie algebras.

George Jones said:
Because [itex]SL \left(2 , \mathbb{C} \right)[/itex] is the universal cover of the restricted Lorentz group, they have isomorphic Lie algebras.

This means can I get the 2x2 representation of M[tex]\mu\nu[/tex] from SL(2,C)?

But how? What I know is [tex]\sigma_{\mu}A^{\mu} _{\phantom{\mu}\nu}}[/tex]=[tex]L\sigma_{\nu}L^{\dagger}[/tex]

Take

[tex]
M^{0i} = \frac{i}{2} \sigma^{i}, \ \ M^{ij} = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon^{ijk}\sigma^{k}
[/tex]

Also, if you define

[tex]\omega_{i0} = 2 Re(\alpha_{i}), \ \ \omega_{ij} = 2 \epsilon^{ijk} Im(\alpha_{k})[/tex]

then

[tex]
1 + \frac{i}{2}\omega_{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu} = \left( \begin {array}{rr} (1 + \alpha_{3}) & (\alpha_{1} - i \alpha_{2}) \\ (\alpha_{1} + i \alpha_{2}) & (1 - \alpha_{3}) \end {array} \right)
[/tex]

represents elements of SL(2,C) infinitesimally close to the identity element.

regards

sam

1. What are Lorentz generators and why are they important in physics?

Lorentz generators are mathematical operators that represent the rotation and boost symmetries of special relativity. They are important in physics because they help us understand how physical laws and measurements are affected by changes in reference frames and the principles of relativity.

2. What is the Mμν notation used in alternate representations of Lorentz generators?

Mμν is a shorthand notation used to represent the 16 components of the Lorentz generators in a matrix form. The indices μ and ν represent the four dimensions of spacetime, with μ representing the row and ν representing the column in the matrix.

3. What are some alternate representations of Lorentz generators?

Some alternate representations of Lorentz generators include the Pauli-Lubanski vector, the Wigner rotation, and the Bargmann-Michel-Telegdi equation. These representations are useful for different applications in theoretical physics and can provide different insights into the nature of Lorentz transformations.

4. How are Lorentz generators related to other fundamental symmetries in physics?

Lorentz generators are intimately connected to other fundamental symmetries in physics, such as translation and rotation symmetries. Together, these symmetries form the basis of the Poincaré group, which is the mathematical framework for special relativity. The Poincaré group also plays a crucial role in quantum field theory and the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. Can alternate representations of Lorentz generators be used in practical applications?

Yes, alternate representations of Lorentz generators have practical applications in various fields of physics, including particle physics, cosmology, and quantum mechanics. For example, the Bargmann-Michel-Telegdi equation is used in the study of spin precession in particle accelerators, while the Wigner rotation is important in the theory of quantum entanglement.