Electromagnetic Momentum and Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses electromagnetic fields and their energy associated with them. The equation given is the expression for the stored energy density in a volume, and it is valid for any EM field, including light. The Poynting vector is also mentioned as a way to calculate electromagnetic power flowing across an area element. The conversation also mentions links that derive electromagnetic energy and momentum conservation from Maxwell's equations.
quantoshake11
I've been presented with these concepts, and the first time i saw them i thought they were just mathematical mambo-jumbo, but of course i didn't gave much importance to these thoughts. I've been constructing an idea of these after seeing how they behave in different circumstances, but really, i just seem to make a sense out of them from the examples and not from the 'derivation' they gave me. they're quite strange concepts, and i just wanted you guys to throw me some facts about them to chew in a bit and give a sense of them :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about radio waves, visible light, x-rays, photons, etc?

well, as far as i know, any EM field will have an energy associated with it. the expression for it would be
(1/2)*[tex]\int E^2+B^2[/tex]
This would be valid for any EM field, including light. the integral is taken over a certain volume, and you can get the energy density as the limit.

The equation you are writing relates to the stored energy density in a volume. It is the physics version of such electrical engineering equations as (1/2) L I2 and (1/2) C V2. The electromagnetic energy flow is given by the Poynting vector P = integral[E x H] dA, which relates to the electromagnetic power flowing across an area element dA.

These pages derive electromagnetic energy and momentum conservation from Maxwell's equations.

thanks. those links really helped :)

1. What is electromagnetic momentum and energy?

Electromagnetic momentum and energy refer to the properties and behavior of electromagnetic waves. Electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that are created by the movement of electrically charged particles and can travel through space. They have both momentum and energy, which can be transferred to other objects.

2. How is electromagnetic momentum and energy measured?

Electromagnetic momentum is measured in units of kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s) and is calculated using the formula p=hf/c, where h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the electromagnetic wave, and c is the speed of light. Electromagnetic energy is measured in units of joules (J) and is calculated using the formula E=hf, where h and f have the same definitions as before.

3. What is the relationship between electromagnetic momentum and energy?

Electromagnetic momentum and energy are directly related to each other. As the energy of an electromagnetic wave increases, its momentum also increases. This relationship is described by the equation E=pc, where p is the momentum and c is the speed of light.

4. How does electromagnetic momentum and energy affect matter?

When an electromagnetic wave interacts with matter, it can transfer its momentum and energy to the particles in the matter. This can cause the particles to vibrate, heat up, or even change their state of matter. For example, the energy from an electromagnetic wave can be absorbed by atoms, causing them to emit light or heat.

5. Can electromagnetic momentum and energy be used for practical applications?

Yes, electromagnetic momentum and energy have numerous practical applications. Some examples include the use of electromagnetic waves in communication technology, such as radio waves, microwaves, and light waves. Electromagnetic energy is also harnessed for power generation through technologies like solar panels and wind turbines. Additionally, electromagnetic momentum is used in medical imaging techniques like MRI and in particle accelerators for research purposes.