Infinitesimal Lorentz transformation

In summary, the infinitesimal Lorentz transformation involves index manipulations and substitutions of \Lambda^{\mu}_{}_{\nu}=\delta^{\mu}_{\nu}+\delta\omega^{\mu}_{}_{\nu} into g_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^{\mu}_{}_{\alpha}\Lambda^{\nu}_{}_{\beta}=g_{\alpha\beta}. The second and third terms in the algebraic equation become ... \delta\omega_{\mu\nu}+\delta\omega_{\nu\mu}... because \delta^{\mu}_{\nu}'s are identity matrices. However, this may not hold for non-infinitesimal transformations. Some textbooks may not
KarateMan
I have questions about the infinitesimal Lorentz transformation. but specifically about index manipulations.

[tex]\Lambda^{\mu}_{}_{\nu}=\delta^{\mu}_{\nu}+\delta\omega^{\mu}_{}_{\nu}[/tex]
where [tex]\delta\omega^{\mu}_{}_{\nu} << 1[/tex]

as found in many textbooks, we substitute this into

[tex]g_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^{\mu}_{}_{\alpha}\Lambda^{\nu}_{}_{\beta}=g_{\alpha\beta}[/tex]

and do the tedious(?) algebra...

[tex]g_{\mu\nu}(\delta^{\mu}_{\alpha}\delta^{\nu}_{\beta}+\delta^{\mu}_{\alpha}\delta\omega^{\nu}_{}_{\beta}+\delta\omega^{\mu}_{}_{\alpha}\delta^{\nu}_{\beta}+\delta\omega^{\mu}_{}_{\alpha}\delta\omega^{\nu}_{}_{\beta})=g_{\alpha\beta}[/tex]

and the last term is negligible because it too small (correct me if wrong!)

my question is the second and third terms. they are supposed to become...

[tex]...\delta\omega_{\mu\nu}+\delta\omega_{\nu\mu}...[/tex]

why is that? because [tex]\delta^{\mu}_{\nu}'s[/tex] are identity matrices, so whichever order we multiply, we get the same result.
and I look up some articles and found something about "abstract index notation". but is this the one?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
g_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^{\mu}_{}_{\alpha}\Lambda^{\nu}_{ }_{\beta}=g_{\alpha\beta}
[/tex]

should be

[tex]
g_{\nu\mu}\Lambda^{\mu}_{}_{\alpha}\Lambda _{\beta}{}^{\nu} =g_{\alpha\beta}
[/tex]

I think the one -at certain stages- shoul not worry about similar metters, since this consideration of infinitesimal rotation is usefal for a quick conviction that ''omega"" are asymetric.I do not kow how to proof it exactly but Idid believe my profesor when he said that we can generalize that for even noninfinitisimal ransformation.
I think her is no more than a mathemrical work needed, which in dead, may be every where in the textbooks( of high math possibly).

thanks everyone.
malawi_glenn, your explanation made me realize the important point! although I have exactly copied that part from a textbook...

thanks again.

KarateMan said:
thanks everyone.
malawi_glenn, your explanation made me realize the important point! although I have exactly copied that part from a textbook...

thanks again.

which textbook? It should be put on a black list if it does not have

[tex] g = \Lambda^{T} g \Lambda [/tex]

1. What is an infinitesimal Lorentz transformation?

An infinitesimal Lorentz transformation is a mathematical tool used in special relativity to describe the change in coordinates and velocities between two inertial reference frames. It is a small-scale version of the full Lorentz transformation, which relates the coordinates and velocities between two frames moving at constant speeds with respect to each other.

2. How is an infinitesimal Lorentz transformation different from a regular Lorentz transformation?

An infinitesimal Lorentz transformation only considers small changes in coordinates and velocities, while a regular Lorentz transformation can handle larger changes. Infinitesimal transformations are used to approximate the effects of a full transformation in situations where the change is very small, such as in particle collisions.

3. What is the purpose of using an infinitesimal Lorentz transformation?

The purpose of using an infinitesimal Lorentz transformation is to simplify the mathematical calculations involved in special relativity. It allows for easier analysis of small-scale events and provides a more intuitive understanding of the effects of relativity on moving objects.

4. How is an infinitesimal Lorentz transformation derived?

An infinitesimal Lorentz transformation can be derived from the Lorentz transformation using calculus. By taking the limit as the change in velocity approaches zero, the full transformation can be simplified into its infinitesimal form.

5. What are some applications of infinitesimal Lorentz transformations?

Infinitesimal Lorentz transformations are used in a variety of fields, including particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering. They are essential in understanding the effects of special relativity on small-scale events, such as particle collisions, and in designing systems that require precise measurements of time and space.