How to Solve Sturm-Liouville Problems to Find Eigen Value and Eigenfunction?

• Thread starter HansLee
  • Start date
In summary, Sturm-Liouville Problems are a type of boundary value problem in differential equations that involve finding eigenvalues and eigenfunctions with specific boundary conditions. They have many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics and can be solved using various methods depending on the problem's characteristics. The boundary conditions typically involve ensuring finite and well-behaved solutions. Real-world examples of Sturm-Liouville Problems include the heat equation, the Schrödinger equation, and the vibrating string problem.
HansLee
I have a problem about Sturm-Liouville, and i can't solve it, maybe someone can help me

x2 y''+ 2xy'+ λy=0

and y(0)=0, y(e2)=0

What is the eigen value and eigenfunction of the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Has one tried y=xn?

Ooo thanks, actually I have tried y=xn before, but there's a miscalculate. But when I see ur suggestion, I tried once again and got the answer. Thanks

1. What are Sturm-Liouville Problems?

Sturm-Liouville Problems are a type of boundary value problem in differential equations. They involve finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a second-order linear differential equation with specific boundary conditions.

2. What is the significance of Sturm-Liouville Problems?

Sturm-Liouville Problems have many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model various physical phenomena such as heat transfer, vibrations, and quantum mechanics. They also have connections to Fourier series and orthogonal functions.

3. How do you solve Sturm-Liouville Problems?

Sturm-Liouville Problems can be solved using a variety of methods, including separation of variables, eigenfunction expansion, and Green's functions. The specific method used depends on the boundary conditions and the form of the differential equation.

4. What are the boundary conditions in Sturm-Liouville Problems?

The boundary conditions in Sturm-Liouville Problems are typically of the form y(a)=0 and y(b)=0, where a and b are the endpoints of the interval on which the problem is defined. These conditions ensure that the solutions are finite and well-behaved.

5. Are there any real-world examples of Sturm-Liouville Problems?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of Sturm-Liouville Problems. For instance, the heat equation can be formulated as a Sturm-Liouville Problem, where the temperature distribution in a rod is modeled by finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the equation. Other examples include the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics and the vibrating string problem in physics.