How can I prove the continuity of the ceiling function at a non-integer value?

Therefore, if 0 < \epsilon < 1, then the condition |f(x)-f(a)| < \epsilon is satisfied on this interval. In summary, we can prove that the ceiling function, f(x), is continuous at any real number, a, that is not an integer by showing that there exists a δ > 0 such that for any small ε, the condition |f(x) - f(a)| < ε is satisfied on an interval around a. This is because on that interval, f(x) is a constant and therefore the difference between f(x) and f(a) will always be less than ε.
arpitm08

Homework Statement

Let f: R -> Z be the ceiling function defined by f(x) = ceil(x). Give a ε-δ proof that if a is a real number that is not an integer, then f is continuous at a.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove that f(x) is not continuous at any integer. But i don't know how to prove this. I can do proofs for continuous functions, but I've never done one for a piece wise function. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what the graph of this function looks like -- essentially steps that are 1 unit wide. If a is not an integer, it shouldn't be too hard to find a number δ > 0, such that |f(x) - f(a)| < ε. In fact, if x is close enough to a, |f(x) - f(a)| will be 0.

If a is not an integer, then there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that every number in the interval from [itex]a- \delta[/itex] to [itex]a+ \delta[/itex] is not an integer. On that interval f(x) is a constant.

1. What is the Ε-δ proof of ceiling function?

The Ε-δ proof of ceiling function is a mathematical method used to prove the existence of a limit for a function. It involves using two variables, ε (epsilon) and δ (delta), to show that the difference between the function and its limit can be made arbitrarily small.

2. How does the Ε-δ proof of ceiling function work?

The Ε-δ proof of ceiling function works by setting a value for ε, which is the maximum amount of error allowed, and then finding a corresponding value for δ, which is the maximum distance between the input and the limit. By finding a δ that satisfies the given ε, it can be shown that the limit exists.

3. Why is the Ε-δ proof of ceiling function important?

The Ε-δ proof of ceiling function is important because it is a rigorous and precise method for proving the existence of limits. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to prove many important theorems and properties.

4. What are some common challenges in using the Ε-δ proof of ceiling function?

One common challenge in using the Ε-δ proof of ceiling function is finding an appropriate δ that satisfies the given ε. This can be particularly difficult for more complex functions. Another challenge is understanding the concept of limits and how they relate to the Ε-δ proof.

5. Can the Ε-δ proof of ceiling function be applied to other types of functions?

Yes, the Ε-δ proof of ceiling function can be applied to any function that has a limit. This includes continuous functions, piecewise functions, and even functions with multiple variables. However, the approach may vary slightly depending on the type of function.