Vector-Valued Functions

• Thread starter roam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: If you mean that the curve is the graph of that function, x^2y= (sin(t))^2(cos(t))^2= (sin(t))^2(1- (sin(t))^2)= (sin(t))^2- (sin(t))^4, x= sin(t), y= (sin(t))^2- (sin(t))^4, 0<= t<= pi/2.
roam
Hello!

In vector valued functions, I don't know how to find a curve's cartesian equation by inspecting its parametric ones...

For example I know from a worked example that if [tex]f: R^2 \rightarrow R[/tex] is given by f(x,y) = xy, and [tex]r(t) = \left[\begin{array}{ccccc} sin(t) \\ cos(t) \end{array}\right][/tex], then the Cartesian equation for this curve r is: x2+y2=1 (which is just the unit circle).

But what if we had [tex]f: R^2 \rightarrow R[/tex] is given by f(x,y) = x2y, and [tex]r(t) = \left[\begin{array}{ccccc} sin(t) \\ cos^2(t) \end{array}\right][/tex], ([tex]t \in [0, \pi/2[/tex])?

How do can I try to find its Cartesian equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:
Hello!

In vector valued functions, I don't know how to find a curve's cartesian equation by inspecting its parametric ones...

For example I know from a worked example that if [tex]f: R^2 \rightarrow R[/tex] is given by f(x,y) = xy, and [tex]r(t) = \left[\begin{array}{ccccc} sin(t) \\ cos(t) \end{array}\right][/tex], then the Cartesian equation for this curve r is: x2+y2=1 (which is just the unit circle).
I don't understand what you are saying here. Certainly, since [itex]sin^2(t)= cos^2(t)= 1[/itex], x= sin(t), y= cos(t) is the same as [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex], but what does that have to do with [itex]f:R^2\rightarrow R[/itex]?

But what if we had [tex]f: R^2 \rightarrow R[/tex] is given by f(x,y) = x2y, and [tex]r(t) = \left[\begin{array}{ccccc} sin(t) \\ cos^2(t) \end{array}\right][/tex], ([tex]t \in [0, \pi/2[/tex])?

How do can I try to find its Cartesian equation?
If x= sin(t) and [itex]y= cos^2(t)[/itex] then [itex]x^2+ y= sin^2(t)+ cos^2(t)= 1[/itex] so [itex]x^2+ y= 1[/itex] or [itex]y= 1- x^2[/itex], a parabola. Again, that has nothing to do with f.

1. What is a vector-valued function?

A vector-valued function is a mathematical function that maps a set of input values to a set of output vectors. In other words, the input of the function is a single value or vector, and the output is a vector of multiple values.

2. How is a vector-valued function different from a regular function?

A regular function takes a single input value and produces a single output value, while a vector-valued function takes a single input value and produces a vector of multiple output values. Additionally, the input and output values of a vector-valued function are typically vectors, while a regular function can have any type of input and output values.

3. What are some real-world applications of vector-valued functions?

Vector-valued functions are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, computer graphics, and robotics. They are particularly useful for describing the motion of objects in two or three dimensions, as well as for modeling complex systems with multiple variables.

4. How do you graph a vector-valued function?

To graph a vector-valued function, you plot the points that correspond to the input values and their corresponding output vectors. These points can then be connected to form a curve or surface, depending on the dimensionality of the function. This allows you to visualize the relationship between the input and output values of the function.

5. Can a vector-valued function have more than one input variable?

Yes, a vector-valued function can have multiple input variables, as long as the output is still a vector of multiple values. This is known as a multivariate vector-valued function and is commonly used in fields such as economics and statistics, where multiple variables are often considered simultaneously.