Boundary layer thickness, accelerating flow.

In summary, the conversation discusses the Falkner-Skan Wedge flow, which is a similarity solution for a variable free stream velocity. The equation for similar flows is given, along with the boundary conditions. The parameter \beta is a measure of the pressure gradient and can be used to find solutions for different pressure gradients. Overall, more information on this topic can be found online along with tables of non-dimensional solutions.
apc3161
Hello,

You've all probably seen the classic Blasius solution concerning the thickness of a boundary over a flat plate. This problem though assumes that the free stream velocity is constant.

http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/~johnc/teaching/fluidmechanics4/2003-04/fluids9/2-dboundary.html

I am currently faced with a problem where the free stream velocity is increasing as you go down the plate, so I cannot use the Blasius solutions.

I was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about this subject and if they could reference me to some material concerning this topic.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds to me like you have a Falkner-Skan Wedge flow. Basically this is a similarity solution (as the flat plate boundary layer). Similarity is achieved by the variable [tex]\eta = Cyx^a[/tex], which is consistent with a power-law freestream velocity distrubtion:
[tex]U(x) = Kx^m\,\,\,; m=2a+1[/tex]
The exponent m may be termed the power-law parameter. do some blah blah blah, and the common form of the Falkner-Skan equation for similar flows is:
[tex]f''' + ff'' + \beta(1-f'^2) = 0[/tex]
Where
[tex]\beta = \frac{2m}{1+m}[/tex]
The boundary conditions are the same for the flat plate:
[tex]f(0) = f'(0) = 0; f'(\infty) = 1[/tex]
Where the parameter [tex]\beta[/tex] is a measure of the pressure gradient, and is positive for positive for a negative or favorable pressure gradient, and negative for an unfavorable pressure gradient; 0 denotes the flat plate.

I won't type the table out, but you should be able to find a table of solutions online somewhere. Basically they are all non-dimensional, so you'll have to find a reference to dimensionalize them to a real-life problem.

1. What is boundary layer thickness?

The boundary layer thickness refers to the distance from the surface of an object to the point where the flow of a fluid begins to deviate from its original direction due to viscosity. It is typically measured perpendicular to the surface and can vary depending on the velocity and properties of the fluid.

2. How is boundary layer thickness affected by accelerating flow?

When a fluid is accelerating, the boundary layer thickness will decrease as the fluid's velocity increases. This is because the faster-moving fluid particles are able to overcome the slower-moving particles in the boundary layer, resulting in a thinner layer of slower-moving fluid near the surface.

3. What is the significance of boundary layer thickness in fluid dynamics?

The boundary layer thickness plays a crucial role in fluid dynamics as it affects the drag force on an object. A thicker boundary layer results in a higher drag force, while a thinner boundary layer can reduce drag and improve the overall efficiency of a fluid flow system.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the boundary layer thickness?

The shape of an object can greatly impact the boundary layer thickness. A streamlined, smooth object will have a thinner boundary layer compared to a rough, irregularly shaped object. This is because the smoother object is able to reduce the friction between the fluid and its surface, resulting in a more efficient flow and thinner boundary layer.

5. Can the boundary layer thickness be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the boundary layer thickness can be controlled and manipulated through various methods such as using surface treatments, altering the surface roughness, or changing the shape of an object. These techniques are commonly used in aerodynamics and engineering to improve the efficiency and performance of fluid flow systems.