How much is the current flowing in the transmission line?

In summary: Anyway, the current flowing in the transmission line is 0.625A.In summary, the voltage is stepped up to 240kV by a transformer before being sent to a substation. The resistance of the transmission line between the power plant and the substation is 75 ohm, and the current flowing in the transmission line is 0.625A.
golriz
Asmall power plant produces a voltage of 6.0kV and a current of 150A. The voltage is stepped up to 240kV by a transformer before being sent to a substation. The resistance of the transmission line between the power plant and the substation is 75 ohm. How much is the current flowing in the transmission line?

I(p)/I(s)= V(s)/V(p) s= stationary P= primary
V= IR

I(p) = 150 , V(p) = 6.0kV , V(s) = 240kV , I(s) = ?

Physics news on Phys.org
golriz said:
I(p)/I(s)= V(s)/V(p) s= stationary P= primary

I(p) = 150 , V(p) = 6.0kV , V(s) = 240kV , I(s) = ?

Plug in the numbers and solve. V = IR is not needed here.

oh, why?
I don't know why V = IR is not needed here?

It occurred to me (after discussing this with somebody else) that I may not understand the layout here.

Perhaps you have a figure you can look at to answer this question: is the 75 ohm line in between the power plant and the transformer, or is it between the transformer and the substation?

I think it is between the transformer and the substation.

In that case, the 75Ω will affect the voltage at the substation, but not at the transformer. It is irrelevant here.

I'm not sure why they included that information, maybe just to throw you off?

Last edited:

1. What is the unit of measurement for current flow in a transmission line?

The unit of measurement for current flow in a transmission line is amperes (A), which represents the rate of flow of electric charge.

2. How is the current flow in a transmission line calculated?

The current flow in a transmission line is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R) of the line. This can be represented by the equation I = V/R

3. What factors can affect the current flow in a transmission line?

The current flow in a transmission line can be affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the line, and the impedance of the load connected to the line. Other factors such as temperature, length of the line, and type of conductor can also impact current flow.

4. Why is it important to monitor the current flow in a transmission line?

Monitoring the current flow in a transmission line is important for ensuring the safety and efficiency of the power system. It helps to identify any abnormalities or overloads that could lead to power outages or damage to equipment. It also allows for better management of power distribution and can help to prevent power surges or blackouts.

5. How does the current flow in a transmission line impact the overall power system?

The current flow in a transmission line is a key factor in maintaining the balance and stability of the power system. It affects the voltage levels, power distribution, and reliability of the system. Any disruptions or imbalances in current flow can have a domino effect on the entire power grid, leading to widespread power outages and potential damage to equipment.