Is this a poorly worded question?

• Thread starter rockyshephear
  • Start date
In summary, the original problem involved finding the components of a vector with a length of 10 and an angle of p/6 with the x-axis. However, the given solution used radian measure and found p to be equal to pi radians, or 180 degrees. The resulting vector found was 5sqrt(3)i + 5j.
rockyshephear
Example found on a website...(there were no graphs or explanations as to p or r or q)
Reverse engineering the question from the answer, I found p to be 180.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A vector that has length 10 makes an angle of p/6 with the x-axis. Find its components.

Solution:

x = r cos q, y = r sin q

So that

x = (10)(/ 2), y = 10 (1/2) = 5

We can write the vector as

5 i + 5j

Physics news on Phys.org
They are using radian measure, and they meant p = [itex]\pi[/itex] radians which is equivalent to 180 degrees. Radian measure is derived from the unit circle; the radian measure of an angle is given by the length of arc that the angle subtends on a unit circle centered at the vertex of the angle. this makes use of the derived fact that the circumference of a circle is known to be 2[itex]\pi[/itex], so that 360 degrees is 2[itex]\pi[/itex] radians. It is common to leave off the "radian" as a unit of measure since it is also defined as a dimensionless ratio of two lengths (the length of arc divided by the length of the radius of the circle).

Last edited:
Thanks

Solution:

x = r cos q, y = r sin q

So that

x = (10)(/ 2), y = 10 (1/2) = 5

We can write the vector as

5 i + 5j
Is it just me, or does that vector have neither the length nor the angle specified in the original problem?

yeah. answer is [tex]5\sqrt{3}i + 5j[/tex]

[tex]\cos (\frac {\pi}{6}) = \frac{\sqrt3}{2}[/tex]

1. What makes a question poorly worded?

A question is considered poorly worded if it is unclear, ambiguous, or difficult to understand. This can happen if the question is too long, contains complex language, or lacks specific details.

2. How can I avoid asking a poorly worded question?

To avoid asking a poorly worded question, be sure to clearly state the topic or subject of your question and use simple and concise language. It can also be helpful to proofread your question before posting it to ensure it is easy to understand.

3. Why is it important to ask well-worded questions in science?

In science, precise and accurate communication is crucial. Asking well-worded questions helps to ensure that the information being communicated is clear and easily understood. This is especially important in experiments and research where the results and conclusions can be affected by the quality of the questions being asked.

4. What are some common mistakes that lead to poorly worded questions?

Some common mistakes that can lead to poorly worded questions include using jargon or technical terms without explaining them, asking multiple questions at once, and using negative or double negative phrasing.

5. Can a poorly worded question affect the outcome of a scientific study?

Yes, a poorly worded question can affect the outcome of a scientific study. It can lead to confusion, misinterpretation of data, and incorrect conclusions. Therefore, it is important to carefully craft questions in scientific research to ensure accurate and reliable results.