Finding the Right Measure Theory Course for Graduate Studies in Economics

In summary: Da Vinci, but until the Wright Bros, it was not practical. In summary, Measure theory is a course in mathematics that is often required for graduate studies in economics and can also be useful in fields such as MRI technology. It may be referred to as Lebesgue integration or be offered as a graduate course, and a strong foundation in mathematics is necessary to understand it.
mlarson9000
Hi, I am pursuing graduate studies in economics, and I hear that "measure theory" is one of the classes that will impress admission commitees. I don't see anything by that name in my school's catalog. Does this class go by another name sometimes?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mlarson9000 said:
Hi, I am pursuing graduate studies in economics, and I hear that "measure theory" is one of the classes that will impress admission commitees. I don't see anything by that name in my school's catalog. Does this class go by another name sometimes?

Yes. Look for a course that covers Lebesgue integration. Some Colleges/Universities offer such a course at the undergraduate level (named something like Second Course in Analysis) or at the graduate level (named something like Introduction to Topology and Analysis).

Quite a few years ago, I attended a lecture given by John Kenneth Galbraith, and he was asked what he thought of all the advanced math that was coming into Economics. He said he approved, because it would keep the undiligent out of the field.

Petek is correct. Measure theory is integral calculus on steroids. Lebesgue showed how to integrate over some really weird, but useful things. It has tremendous applications in probability and stats.

I attended a lecture given by John Kenneth Galbraith, and he was asked what he thought of all the advanced math that was coming into Economics. He said he approved, because it would keep the undiligent out of the field.

Petek is correct. Measure theory is integral calculus on steroids. Lebesgue showed how to integrate over some really weird, but useful things.

You should realize that in most cases you will need a good footing in mathematics prior to jumping into measure theory. At a bare minimum advanced calculus: a more realistic background would have you with some real analysis and topology.

I saw measure theory in
1) A second real analysis course
2) A measure theory course
3) Functional analysis
4) Courses in probability

Measure theory is used in economics?

Dragonfall said:

I wondered about that too - unless it is for background prep in econometrics, I'm not sure how it would apply.

Dragonfall said:

Why not? Measure theory is needed to make your MRI scanner work, too. As Wigner pointed out, math is unreasonably effective.

"Measure theory is needed to make your MRI scanner work, too." ?

The applications of analysis in econometrics are not that theoretical - I would guess that one (or some combination) of the following is true:
1) the OP is genuinely interested in a broad mathematical background
2) the "impress entrance committees" comment was thrown out to the OP as a generality - if an applicant has successfully completed mathematics through measure theory he/she has a good background
3) the comment was made as part of a larger discussion concerning prep for some probability/statistics course(s) that will be required
4) all of our comments are conjecture, based on nothing more than inadequate information

whatever the explanation, I hope the OP's endeavors are successful.

statdad said:
"Measure theory is needed to make your MRI scanner work, too." ?

Yep. They rely on the Radon-Nikodym theorem to do their image processing.

The MRI does not "rely" on any theorem. That's like saying your restaurant bill depends on the inductive hypothesis.

The closest I could find to "dependance" on measure theory is the article summarized here:
"We present a new medical imaging principle which allows reconstruction of images (from the output of a general digital imaging technology) whose contrast is based on a fundamentally different mathematical mechanism than that of standard images. These images have the useful property that they are capable of exhibiting high contrast between tissues which in currently produced images necessarily have low contrast. The meaning of these images, and their general place in the context of present image generation techniques, is most naturally expressed in the formalism of measure theory. The property actually imaged is derived from a probability measure associated with the mapping which expresses the output of the imaging technology. It also has a nonprobabilistic interpretation as a generalization of the Jacobian, specifically, the Radon-Nikodym derivative. In particular, unlike standard images, contrast is independent of the metric in the space of physical signals that the imaging technology associates with points of the region to be imaged. Images based on this approach using magnetic resonance input are presented."

Nothing in the article states the process depends (as in would not be possible without) measure theory, but it is an incredibly interesting use of probability and measure theory as an explanatory tool.

mlarson9000 said:

Maybe it would be easiest to tell you directly. What is your school? Then we could look at your school's course offering/catalog to direct you to the right course and/or prerequisites.

It is most likely offered as a graduate course. I don't think I've seen many schools who offer it as an undergraduate course.

Most places I've seen (in Canada and some in the U.S) offer it as a split class where the grad students are required to do an extra assignment and presentation. The 'typical' route one would take is Basic Calculus -> Real Analysis -> Metric Space Analysis -> Measure Theory.. though posting your school's website will get you a better answer.

Dragonfall said:
The MRI does not "rely" on any theorem. That's like saying your restaurant bill depends on the inductive hypothesis.

I can't tell whether you are joking or whether you think being pedantic contributes meaningfully to the discussion.

(But I think my restaurant bill actually does rely on arithmetic working.)

So the restaurant bills did not exist before Peano?

You exaggerate the importance of measure theory in the workings of MRIs. Me calling you out certainly isn't just being "pedantic".

Dragonfall said:
So the restaurant bills did not exist before Peano?

They were not well grounded before Peano. This is akin to manned flight occurring http://www.etsu.edu/math/gardner/wright-brothers/bernoulli.pdf the discovery that Bernoulli's principle was a fundamental part of wing design (designers beforehand mimicked bird wings and other flying edges). Before Peano's principles, people mimicked the behavior of coins and paper money, without knowing that more fundamental principles applied. Then again, I guess it depends on whether you're a Platonist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya we're heading into the dangerous and kweeeeeizee world of philosophy. Let's stop.

1. What is measure theory and why is it important in economics?

Measure theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concept of measuring sets and the properties of measurable functions. In economics, measure theory is important because it provides a rigorous framework for analyzing and understanding economic phenomena, such as consumer behavior, market efficiency, and production processes.

2. What should I look for in a measure theory course for graduate studies in economics?

There are a few key factors to consider when choosing a measure theory course for graduate studies in economics. First, make sure the course covers the fundamentals of measure theory, including measures, measurable functions, and integration. Second, look for a course that also applies measure theory to economic models and problems. Third, consider the instructor's expertise and teaching style to ensure a good fit for your learning needs.

3. Are there any prerequisites for taking a measure theory course for graduate studies in economics?

Most measure theory courses for graduate studies in economics will require a strong background in mathematics, particularly in real analysis and linear algebra. Some courses may also require prior knowledge of basic economic concepts and models. It is best to check with the course instructor or program advisor for specific prerequisites.

4. How can I prepare for a measure theory course for graduate studies in economics?

To prepare for a measure theory course, it is important to have a solid understanding of mathematical concepts, such as sets, functions, and continuity. Familiarizing yourself with the basics of measure theory, such as sigma-algebras and Lebesgue measure, can also be helpful. Additionally, reviewing economic models and their mathematical representations can give you a head start in understanding how measure theory is applied in economics.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a background in measure theory and economics?

Graduate studies in economics with a focus on measure theory can open up a variety of career opportunities. Some common career paths include research positions in economic consulting firms, government agencies, or academic institutions. Graduates with a strong understanding of measure theory can also pursue careers in data analysis, risk management, and financial modeling in industries such as banking, insurance, and investment management.