Quiz question, wondering how to actually solve (intro intro probability)

In summary, the question is asking for the probability of a car having engine damage and no transmission damage, given that the probability of engine damage is 0.15, the probability of transmission damage is 0.02, and the probability of both engine and transmission damage is 0.01. Using the equation P(E n T^{c}) = P(E) - P(E n T), we can calculate that the probability is 0.14. Alternatively, we can also use the complement rule to find the probability of no transmission damage and subtract it from the probability of engine damage to get the same answer.
rsala004

Homework Statement

so my professor gave us a little quiz today here's a question i was unsure of how to solve.

probability of engine damage is 0.15
prob of transmission damage is 0.02
prob of both engine and transmission damage is 0.01

what is the prob that a car comes in the shop with engine damage and no transmission damage?
P(E [tex]\cap[/tex] T[tex]^{c}[/tex])

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this by using venn diagrams and i think i may have gotten correct answer, but how would you solve this symbolically, like he wanted it solved.

i got 0.14 which is possibly correct.

thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you want equations?

Let E, T refer to engine and transmission such that
P(E) = 0.15, P(T) = 0.02, P(E n T) = 0.01

But P(E) = P(E n T) + P(E n [Tbar]), and you have the first 2 values.

Tbar (written T is a horizontal line on top) is usually called the complement of T, such that P(T) + P(Tbar) = 1

For a visual approach, look at the attachment.

Attachments

• basicprob.pdf
    74.7 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

What is probability and how is it related to quiz questions?

Probability is a mathematical concept that measures the likelihood of an event occurring. It is related to quiz questions because it helps determine the chances of getting a correct answer when answering a question.

How can I solve a quiz question using probability?

To solve a quiz question using probability, you can use various methods such as the classical, empirical, or subjective approach. These methods involve analyzing the given information and using mathematical formulas to calculate the probability of getting the correct answer.

Is probability the only way to solve quiz questions?

No, probability is not the only way to solve quiz questions. Other methods such as deductive reasoning, critical thinking, and knowledge of the subject matter can also be used to solve quiz questions.

Are there any tips for using probability to solve quiz questions?

Some tips for using probability to solve quiz questions include understanding the question, breaking down the information given, and using the appropriate formula or method for calculation. It is also important to check your work and make sure the answer is reasonable.

Can probability be used to predict the outcome of a quiz question?

Yes, probability can be used to predict the outcome of a quiz question. However, it is important to note that probability is not a guarantee and there is always a possibility of getting an incorrect answer. It is just a measure of likelihood based on the given information.