Calculating Moment of Inertia & Torque for a Rod on a Pivot

• Thread starter Dweirdo
  • Start date
In summary: Greek_alphabet :wink:(that's partly why someone with a sense of humour made Ω the symbol for ohm! :biggrin:)haha cool :) still omega sounds way smoother :Pi still think they just try to make things complicated :)
Dweirdo
Hi

if i have let's say a rod swinging on a pivot, and i calculate the moment of inertia around the axis, which is the pivot, and i get the angular acceleration.
now let's say i want to the the same around the other end of the rod, but the thing is that in the lab F.O.R it is moving around the pivot, although in the F.O.R of the other end of the rod, the pivot moves around that end, so why can't i make the same equations, and substitute angular acceleration with the one that i got before, and then find the net torque,
i mean, because it's an accelerated f.O.R i need to be careful, and add some factious forces and stuff, so how do i deal with that?
thanks
Dweirdo

Physics news on Phys.org
Dweirdo said:
… why can't i make the same equations, and substitute angular acceleration with the one that i got before, and then find the net torque, i mean, because it's an accelerated f.O.R i need to be careful, and add some factious forces and stuff, so how do i deal with that?

Hi Dweirdo! :wink:

Yes, you can do that … see, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictitious_force :smile:

Hi Tim,and thanks
I've looked it p, but which one of these should i use in my case:
1)Rotating observer
2)Rotating coordinate systems

and what is this symbol:Ω?
Dweirdo

Dweirdo said:
… which one of these should i use in my case:
1)Rotating observer
2)Rotating coordinate systems

Theyr'e the same aren't they? :confused:

(and Ω is angular velocity)

idk they come up as 2 different sectors :P oh well
and why the hell they have to make things so complicated , omega should be angular velocitY! :P
thanks again,
dweirdo

never mind, silly question :(

Frame of reference-F.O.R :P

Ω

Dweirdo said:
and why the hell they have to make things so complicated , omega should be angular velocitY! :P

Hi Dweirdo! :smile:

Ω is capital ω … see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet :wink:

(that's partly why someone with a sense of humour made Ω the symbol for ohm! :biggrin:)

haha cool :) still omega sounds way smoother :P
i still think they just try to make things complicated :)
*goes to study greek alphabet* :DD
Dweirdo

1. What is the moment of inertia of a rod on a pivot?

The moment of inertia of a rod on a pivot refers to the resistance of the rod to changes in its rotational motion. It is a measure of how the mass of the rod is distributed around the pivot point.

2. How do I calculate the moment of inertia for a rod on a pivot?

The moment of inertia for a rod on a pivot can be calculated using the equation I = ML^2/3, where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the rod, and L is the length of the rod from the pivot point.

3. What is torque and how does it relate to a rod on a pivot?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the case of a rod on a pivot, the torque is the force applied to the rod to make it rotate around the pivot point.

4. How do I calculate the torque for a rod on a pivot?

The torque for a rod on a pivot can be calculated using the equation T = F x L, where T is the torque, F is the force applied to the rod, and L is the length of the rod from the pivot point.

5. How does the moment of inertia and torque affect the movement of a rod on a pivot?

The moment of inertia and torque work together to determine the rotational motion of a rod on a pivot. A larger moment of inertia means more resistance to changes in rotation, and a larger torque means more force is needed to make the rod rotate. These factors can affect the speed and direction of the rod's movement on the pivot.