Eq. (4.13) from Wess & Bagger

• Thread starter simanxxx
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person having trouble with verifying an equation in a book on Supersymmetry and Supergravity by Wess & Bagger. They are seeking help and someone suggests sending an email to the authors, who are typically receptive to questions related to their textbooks. They also mention that professors usually dislike questions from lower level classes but are more receptive to serious and technical questions from advanced students.
simanxxx
I'm having trouble verifying the second equation in (4.13) of Supersymmetry and Supergravity by Wess & Bagger. I'm getting a minus sign error in the second term. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
i met the same question, is here someone can help us?

Have you tried sending an e-mail to Wess or Bagger? In my experience, even very busy professors are quite receptive to answering fan mail related to their textbooks as they get rather little of it relative to other kinds of authors and feel some special sense of obligation as they frequently do multiple editions of their books eventually and get a royalty in addition to their usual paychecks for it. The e-mails are usually easily available on faculty web pages.

While professors tend to dislike questions from their low level undergraduate classes, they tend to enjoy serious questions from advanced students even if they are technical and narrow.

Last edited:

1. What is Eq. (4.13) from Wess & Bagger?

Eq. (4.13) from Wess & Bagger is an equation from the book "Supersymmetry and Supergravity" by Julius Wess and Jonathan Bagger. It describes the chiral superfield transformation under supersymmetry.

2. What is a chiral superfield?

A chiral superfield is a mathematical construct used in supersymmetric field theories. It is a complex scalar field that transforms only under half of the supersymmetry transformations.

3. How is Eq. (4.13) used in supersymmetry?

Eq. (4.13) is used to describe the transformation of chiral superfields under supersymmetry. This is important in supersymmetric field theories, as it helps to maintain a balance between bosonic and fermionic degrees of freedom.

4. Can Eq. (4.13) be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, Eq. (4.13) can be generalized to higher dimensions. In fact, it is often used in higher dimensional supersymmetric theories, such as supergravity.

5. Are there any applications of Eq. (4.13) in physics?

Yes, Eq. (4.13) has various applications in theoretical physics. It is used in the formulation of supersymmetric field theories, as well as in the study of supergravity and string theory.