Electron Charge: What Makes Electrons Attract/Repel?

In summary, the fundamental reason for the charge of an electron and the attraction/repulsion between two electrons is still unknown. According to quantum electrodynamics, it is due to the exchange of virtual photons between charged objects. However, the origin of this charge and the particles involved is still unsolvable and remains one of the biggest mysteries in physics. The Big Bang may have played a role in the creation of these particles, but until science can make predictions about what happened before the Big Bang, it remains a mystery.
mkbh_10
Tell me what makes electron have a charge , what is that property of electron due to which there is attraction /repulsion between two electrons ?

Physics news on Phys.org
mkbh_10 said:
Tell me what makes electron have a charge , what is that property of electron due to which there is attraction /repulsion between two electrons ?

The simplest answer to your questions is: that is the way things are. Electrons have charge and like charges repel.

I'm no expert on this, but according to quantum electrodynamics, two charged objects attract or repel because they exchange virtual photons. It's like they're hitting baseballs back and forth, which makes them repel each other (or attract).

i knw this but what is the fundamental reason for this to happen ., from where did the charge came, was it present befor big bang , did it get created when big bang happened , I am stuck ,.lol...

It's the origin question... I think I read in Feynman's lectures once that what sets physics apart was the fact that it doesn't have an origin question, or rather, that it is unsolvable. It's one of the most important questions we can pose, but the problem is, right now it is unsolvable. At the Big Bang, for example, all our science breaks down, so we can't make any predictions about what was before the Big Bang. If our mass and our charge came from somewhere before the Big Bang, then right now we cannot say where the mass and charge came from!

I wonder if we'll ever get to know.

As a result of the big bang lots of photons were created. Photon interactions led to the production of various fundamental particles (quarks and leptons). Why this particular set of particles is one of the great unknowns.

1. What is electron charge?

Electron charge is a property of subatomic particles known as electrons. It refers to the amount of electric charge carried by an electron, which is approximately 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs. This charge is negative, meaning that electrons have an excess of electrons compared to their positively charged counterpart, protons.

2. How does electron charge affect attraction and repulsion?

Electrons are attracted to positively charged particles, such as protons, due to the opposite charges. However, electrons are repelled by other negatively charged particles, such as other electrons, due to their like charges. This attraction and repulsion are the fundamental forces that govern the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules.

3. What makes electrons attract and repel?

The attraction and repulsion of electrons are caused by the electromagnetic force, one of the four fundamental forces in nature. This force is responsible for the interaction between electrically charged particles, such as electrons and protons. Protons have a positive charge, while electrons have a negative charge, leading to the attraction and repulsion between them.

4. How does the distance between electrons affect their attraction and repulsion?

The distance between electrons plays a crucial role in their attraction and repulsion. As the distance between two electrons decreases, the force of repulsion increases, and the force of attraction decreases. This is because the closer the electrons are, the stronger the repulsive force between their negative charges. Similarly, the farther apart the electrons are, the weaker the repulsive force and the stronger the attractive force between their opposite charges.

5. Can the charge of an electron change?

No, the charge of an electron is a fundamental constant, and it does not change. According to the law of conservation of charge, the total electric charge in a closed system remains constant. This means that the charge of an electron cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between particles. Therefore, the charge of an electron is always -1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs.