Question: electric field within insulator

In summary, the individual is working on a research project to create a uniform electric field inside a glass tube using charged copper tape rings on the outside. They are questioning whether the field will be present inside the tube and if the presence of an insulator will affect the field. It is possible for electric field lines to pass through an insulator, but the field inside the tube will be 0 due to Gauss law. The individual is also advised to have a basic understanding of electric fields and their research goals.
delis16
I am working on a research project in which i need to create a uniform electric field inside of a tube. I am using a glass tube and wrapping copper tape rings on the outside of the tube. The copper tape is charged to create an electric field. My question is whether or not the field will be present inside of the glass tube. Can electric field lines pass through an insulator and if so is the field any different than if the insulator wasn't there?

Physics news on Phys.org
delis16 said:
Can electric field lines pass through an insulator and if so is the field any different than if the insulator wasn't there?

The electric field lines would can pass trough an insulator and be somewhat changed(see dielectrics).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectrics

delis16 said:
I am using a glass tube and wrapping copper tape rings on the outside of the tube. The copper tape is charged to create an electric field. My question is whether or not the field will be present inside of the glass tube

The field will be 0 inside the tube. But not because the field lines are stopped by the insulator but because of Gauss law.
The simplest way to produce a uniform electric field is to use two charged parallel plates. A basic capacitor.

Wait what kind of research are you planing to do if you have so limited knowledge? Take care.

First of all the air is insulator and the electric field can pass through it!
I think he is working with discharge system.
If you need the mapping of electric field lines for such system, I will try to look to the equations for that.

1. What is an electric field within an insulator?

An electric field within an insulator is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force. In an insulator, this field is created by the presence of electric charges that are unable to move freely.

2. How is the electric field within an insulator different from that within a conductor?

The main difference between the electric field within an insulator and that within a conductor is that in an insulator, the charges are unable to move freely. This means that the electric field within an insulator is more localized and does not flow through the material, as it would in a conductor.

3. How does the electric field within an insulator affect the movement of charges?

The electric field within an insulator can affect the movement of charges by exerting a force on them. However, since the charges are unable to move freely, the electric field within an insulator does not cause them to flow through the material. Instead, the charges may become temporarily polarized or rearranged within the insulator.

4. What factors affect the strength of the electric field within an insulator?

The strength of the electric field within an insulator is affected by the amount and distribution of electric charges within the material. It is also influenced by the dielectric constant of the insulator, which is a measure of the material's ability to resist the formation of an electric field.

5. Is the electric field within an insulator always zero?

No, the electric field within an insulator is not always zero. Even though the charges within an insulator are unable to move freely, they can still create and be affected by an electric field. The strength of the electric field within an insulator may vary depending on the factors mentioned in the previous question.