Exploring Sun's Luminosity Evolution

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of the Sun's luminosity as it approaches its Red Giant phase and what factors may affect it. There is a question about whether there is a function that fits the final phase, and a suggestion that the luminosity can be parametrized by the mass of the core. The conversation also mentions that the final phase is very rapid in a massive star, but the Sun is not massive enough for this process to occur.
qraal
Hi All

As most of us know, in a qualitative sense, the Sun will eventually become a Red Giant before its core explodes (the Helium Flash) and it's heaved onto the Helium Main Sequence, to shine merrily for about 100 million years. What I want to know, in a quantitative sense, is just how its luminosity behaves with respect to time as it's approaching the Red Giant Tip - its point of maximum luminosity before the Helium Flash. From all the graphs of luminosity against that I've seen that final phase is very rapid compared to its luminosity evolution for the 12 billion years prior. Is there a function that fits that final phase? Any good references?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi
I don't know if there is a function of the final phase or if there are good references
But...
I know that in the RGB phase the star's luminosity is increasing because in this phase the source of photons is only the H shell. In fact you can parametrize the luminosity of the shell by the mass of the core (this is the reason why different masses have the same RGB tip luminosity). In particular you should find that if the mass of the core is increasing also the luminosity of the shell increases. During the RGB phase the shell increases the core's mass, hence luminosity increases.
I don't remember the reason, but after the RGB Bump you should find that the velocity of the evolution is increased. In particular the change of the slope of the Integrated Luminosity Function is associated to this change of the velocity (the molecular weight changes).

PS I'm not a native speaker, so I apologize for any possible misunderstanding.

Bye

That final phase is indeed very rapid in a massive star. It only takes a matter of hours, even minutes, from the time silicon fusion is initiated until a core collapse event occurs. The sun, however, is not massive enough for silicon fusion to occur. It will merely slowly decay from a red giant into a white, then black dwarf.

1. What is the sun's luminosity?

The sun's luminosity refers to the amount of energy it emits in the form of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How does the sun's luminosity evolve over time?

The sun's luminosity has steadily increased over time due to the gradual fusion of hydrogen into helium in its core. This process is known as nuclear fusion.

3. What factors affect the sun's luminosity evolution?

The sun's luminosity evolution is primarily affected by its mass, composition, and age. Other factors such as solar activity and external influences also play a role.

4. How do scientists study the sun's luminosity evolution?

Scientists study the sun's luminosity evolution through a variety of methods, including observations from telescopes and satellites, laboratory experiments, and computer simulations.

5. What impact does the sun's luminosity have on Earth?

The sun's luminosity is essential for sustaining life on Earth, as it provides the energy needed for photosynthesis and regulates our planet's climate. Changes in the sun's luminosity can also affect Earth's environment and climate over long periods of time.