Proving 3D Delta Function with Laplacian

In summary: It does indeed, provided that the origin lies within the sphere. If the origin lies outside the sphere then the limit does not exist and the delta function is not a true function.
daudaudaudau
Hi.

How do we argue that [itex]\nabla^2\frac{1}{r}[/itex] is a three dimensional delta function? I have seen some people do it using the divergence theorem, i.e. saying that
[tex]
\int_V \nabla\cdot\nabla\frac{1}{r}dv=-\oint_S \nabla\frac{1}{r}\cdot ds=-4\pi
[/tex]
if S is a surface containing the origin, but I don't think it is legal to use the divergence theorem in this case because it requires that both the vector field and its divergence be well defined.

Instead one could make the sequence [itex]\nabla^2\frac{1}{r+\varepsilon}[/itex] which approaches the correct function as [itex]\varepsilon\rightarrow0[/itex]. Here we can calculate the laplacian and then integrate this.. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, of course, it not "legal" because the delta function is not a true "function". It is a "distribution" or "generalized function" and you have to use the derivative as extended to generalized functions.

The limiting definition is just nonsense, because as epsilon goes to zero, the expression doesn't converge to anything.

Similarly, as you have stated, the div theorem derivation is ALSO just nonsense, precisely for the reasons you state.

The proper way to look at this is:

1. The SURFACE integral is perfectly regular, yet has an extremely interesting property:
Namely IRRESPECTIVE OF THE SURFACE, if the origin is strictly within the volume enclosed by that surface, then the value is -4pi, wheras if the origin lies outside we get 0!

2. That property is, however, precisely what we would like the 3-D delta function to exhibit when considering arbitrary volumes!

3. Thus, if we want to play, we "define" the divergence to be the delta function, and furthermore play along, pretending that this is in accordance with the divergence theorem.

4. The only reason why this works though, is that the surface integral is the real thing here, not the delta func as a (standard) derivative, or the validity of the divergence theorem in this case.

1+2 are the salient points, 3. is just notational garnish, or garbage if you prefer that term instead.

arildno: It seems to me that what you are doing in point (3) is exactly what you said was illegal, i.e. using the divergence theorem. I don't understand point (4), could you rephrase that, please?

jostpuur: Yes that looks good. Too bad I don't know any measure theory and only very little distribution theory. Maybe this question is too advanced for me at the moment.

arildno said:
The limiting definition is just nonsense, because as epsilon goes to zero, the expression doesn't converge to anything.

What I meant was this
[tex]
\lim_{k\rightarrow0}\int_V \nabla^2\frac{1}{r+k}dv=-\lim_{k\rightarrow0}\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^{\epsilon} \frac{2k}{r(k+r)^3}r^2\sin{\theta}dr d\phi d\theta=-\lim_{k\rightarrow0}\frac{4\epsilon^2\pi}{(\epsilon +k)^2}=-4\pi
[/tex]
i.e. an integral on an arbitrarily small sphere which encloses the origin. Does this not prove that it is a delta function?

1. What is the 3D Delta Function?

The 3D Delta Function, also known as the Dirac Delta Function, is a mathematical function that represents a point in three-dimensional space with an infinite magnitude at that point and zero everywhere else. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model point sources or point forces.

2. How is the 3D Delta Function related to the Laplacian operator?

The Laplacian operator is a differential operator commonly used in mathematics to describe the second-order spatial variation of a function. The 3D Delta Function can be expressed as the limit of the Laplacian of a Gaussian function as the standard deviation approaches zero.

3. Why is proving the 3D Delta Function with Laplacian important?

Proving the relationship between the 3D Delta Function and the Laplacian operator is important because it allows us to use the powerful tools of calculus and differential equations to solve problems involving point sources or point forces in three-dimensional space. It also provides a more rigorous mathematical foundation for the use of the 3D Delta Function in various fields of science and engineering.

4. What is the process for proving the 3D Delta Function with Laplacian?

The proof involves using the definition of the Laplacian operator and the properties of limits to show that the limit of the Laplacian of a Gaussian function approaches the 3D Delta Function as the standard deviation approaches zero. This process requires a solid understanding of calculus and differential equations.

5. Can the 3D Delta Function be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the 3D Delta Function can be generalized to any number of dimensions. In higher dimensions, it is commonly referred to as the n-dimensional Delta Function. The proof for the relationship between the n-dimensional Delta Function and the Laplacian operator follows a similar process to the 3D case.