How is the equation for Power [U'] derived?

• Thread starter Ognerok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, power is the rate of work done against the opposition to the flow of charges in a conductor. It is calculated as the derivative of electrical energy, which is defined as U = QV. However, when calculating power, Q is not treated as a constant, but rather as the change in charge over time (dQ/dt). This can be seen in the equation P = U' = V*dQ/dt. The full statement from the book shows that power can also be calculated using other equations, such as P = V*I = V^2/R = I^2*R. Q, in this context, refers to the change in charge over time, not the constant charge of an electron.
Ognerok

Homework Statement

While going through a basic electrical engineering overview, I came across the equation U = QV, which is defined to be electrical energy. For Power, which is explained in the next section, P is basically the derivative of U = QV. I tried following the derivation myself, but for some reason, what I got was different from the book.

Homework Equations

U= QV

q = -1.6x10^-19 Coulombs ( basically a constant)

The derivative of this turned out to be d/dt = V*d[Q]/dt. My question is HOW.

The Attempt at a Solution

P = d/dt = Q * d[v]/dt; treated Q as a constant, but this doesn't line up. My Calculus must be rusty. Anyway, the full statement from the book:

P = U'= V*Q' = VI= v^2/R = I^2*R

-Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ognerok said:

Homework Statement

While going through a basic electrical engineering overview, I came across the equation U = QV, which is defined to be electrical energy. For Power, which is explained in the next section, P is basically the derivative of U = QV. I tried following the derivation myself, but for some reason, what I got was different from the book.

P = d/dt = Q * d[v]/dt; treated Q as a constant, but this doesn't line up. My Calculus must be rusty. Anyway, the full statement from the book:

P = U'= V*Q' = VI= v^2/R = I^2*R

-Thanks.

Power is the rate of work done against the opposition to the flow of charges in the conductor. While doing so the voltage across the conductor is constant.
So P = U' = V*dQ/dt.

rl.bhat said:
Power is the rate of work done against the opposition to the flow of charges in the conductor. While doing so the voltage across the conductor is constant.
So P = U' = V*dQ/dt.

That makes more sense. But...I thought Q itself was just a constant, you know, an electron's charge...it must be Q in the sense that Q = u/V? :)

Ognerok said:
That makes more sense. But...I thought Q itself was just a constant, you know, an electron's charge...it must be Q in the sense that Q = u/V? :)
It is different. It is the energy acquired by a charge when it is accelerated the a potential difference V. It is nothing to do with the power dissipated in a resistance.

1. How is the equation for Power derived?

The equation for power (P) is derived from the fundamental definition of power, which is the rate at which work (W) is done or energy (E) is transferred. This can be represented as P = W/t or P = ΔE/Δt, where t is the time taken and Δ represents change.

2. What are the units of power?

The SI unit of power is watts (W), which is equivalent to joules per second (J/s). Other common units of power include horsepower (hp) and kilowatts (kW).

3. How is the equation for power related to force and velocity?

The equation for power can also be written as P = Fv, where F is the force applied and v is the velocity. This is because work is equal to force times distance, and velocity is distance divided by time. Therefore, power can be calculated by multiplying force and velocity.

4. Can the equation for power be applied to all types of energy?

Yes, the equation for power can be applied to all types of energy, as long as the energy is being transferred or transformed over time. This includes mechanical, electrical, and thermal energy, among others.

5. Is the equation for power applicable to both machines and humans?

Yes, the equation for power can be applied to both machines and humans. In machines, it represents the rate at which work is being done, while in humans, it represents the rate at which energy is being expended. However, it should be noted that the power output of humans is significantly lower than most machines.