Calculating force nessary to compress spring

In summary, the data for a ball and spring sensor includes a mass of 0.12kg, spring constant of 30Nm-1, and a distance to be compressed of 3.6cm. To calculate the force necessary to compress the spring by 3.6cm, you can use Newton's 2nd law and Hooke's law. The deceleration caused by this force in a mass of 0.12kg can also be determined using these laws. If you are unsure of which equation to use, remember that Hooke's law relates force and displacement, while Newton's 2nd law relates force and acceleration. With this understanding, you were able to successfully complete your homework.
nikelberry
The data for a ball and spring sensor is given below:
mass of ball = 0.12kg
spring constant = 30Nm-1
distance to be compressed = 3.6cm

Calculate the force nessary to compress spring by 3.6cm.
The deceleration which the force in (the 1st question) would cause in a mass of 0.12kg.

i seem to find this question quite tricky, mainly becasue I am not sure of what equation to use!
please me on this one!

Physics news on Phys.org
What does Hooke's law tell you about springs and Newton's 2nd law tell you about acceleration?

yay! i got it! thanks for your help much appreciated!
and that's my homework done!

What is the formula for calculating the force necessary to compress a spring?

The formula is F = -kx, where F is the force in newtons, k is the spring constant in newtons per meter, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position in meters.

How do you find the spring constant of a spring?

The spring constant can be found by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

What units are used for measuring force and displacement in the formula?

Force is measured in newtons (N) and displacement is measured in meters (m).

Can the force necessary to compress a spring be negative?

Yes, according to the formula, a negative force means that the spring is being compressed in the opposite direction of the applied force.

Is the force necessary to compress a spring affected by the mass of the object attached to it?

No, the force necessary to compress a spring is only affected by the spring constant and the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position, not by the mass of the object attached to it.