Solving Car-Truck Overtaking Problem

• Thread starter seraphimhouse
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves an automobile starting with a constant acceleration of 2.6 m/s2 and a truck traveling with a constant speed of 9.4 m/s. The goal is to determine the distance and speed of the automobile when it overtakes the truck. Using the equations X-Xo = Vo + 1/2at^2 and X-Xo = 1/2(Vo + V)t, the time and distance equations for the car and truck were found. By setting these equations equal to each other and solving for t, a time of 3.62 seconds was calculated. However, further analysis showed that this answer was incorrect and the use of the quadratic formula is necessary. Additionally, the truck's
seraphimhouse

Homework Statement

At the instant the traffic light turns green, an automobile starts with a constant acceleration a of 2.6 m/s2. At the same instant a truck is 11.1 m down the road and traveling with a constant speed of 9.4 m/s.

(a) How far beyond the traffic signal will the automobile overtake the truck?
(b) How fast will the automobile be traveling at that instant?

Homework Equations

X-Xo = Vo + 1/2at^2
X-Xo = 1/2(Vo + V)t

The Attempt at a Solution

Using X-Xo = Vo + 1/2at^2 I got
X = (1.3 m/s^2)t^2 for the car

Using X-Xo = 1/2(Vo + V)t I got
x = (4.7m/s)t + 11.1m for the truck

I set them equal to each other and found the algebra to be difficult (I stink at algebra) so instead I made the truck's equation x = (4.7m/s)t and eliminated the 11.1m and once again set the truck and the car's equation equal to each other. I got the time to be 3.62s and the distance from the light to be about 28.0m, but was obviously wrong. Can it be my equations for constant acceleration that may be wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Algebra is kinda important.
Just use the quadratic formula once you set them equal to each other.

your first relevant equation should have a t after the vo, although it makes no difference in this case. Your truck's equation x = (4.7m/s)t should be 9.4 m/s x t. How do you get 4.7t ?
Could you show your working, because I don't see how you can eliminate a quadratic relationship if it exists.

1. How do you define the "Car-Truck Overtaking Problem"?

The Car-Truck Overtaking Problem refers to the issue of cars and trucks sharing the same road and the potential dangers that arise when a car attempts to overtake a truck. This problem is particularly prevalent on highways and other high-speed roads.

2. What are the main factors that contribute to the Car-Truck Overtaking Problem?

The main factors that contribute to the Car-Truck Overtaking Problem include the large size and weight of trucks, the limited visibility for both drivers, and the difference in speed between cars and trucks. Additionally, driver behavior and road conditions can also play a role.

3. How can the Car-Truck Overtaking Problem be solved?

There are several proposed solutions for the Car-Truck Overtaking Problem. One approach is to improve road infrastructure, such as adding more passing lanes or widening the road. Another solution is to implement stricter regulations for truck drivers, such as limiting their speed or increasing the distance between trucks on the road. Advanced technologies like vehicle-to-vehicle communication systems and automated braking systems are also being explored.

4. What are the potential benefits of solving the Car-Truck Overtaking Problem?

Solving the Car-Truck Overtaking Problem would lead to safer roads and a decrease in accidents involving cars and trucks. It would also improve traffic flow and reduce travel time for both cars and trucks. Additionally, solving this problem could have a positive impact on the environment, as it would likely result in fewer emissions from idling or slow-moving vehicles.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to solving the Car-Truck Overtaking Problem?

Yes, there are several challenges and limitations to solving the Car-Truck Overtaking Problem. These include the cost of implementing new technologies or infrastructure, the need for cooperation and coordination among various stakeholders, and potential resistance from trucking companies or drivers. Additionally, there may be practical limitations in terms of the feasibility and effectiveness of certain solutions in real-world scenarios.