How to find maximum temp. rise from a velocity value

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving wind moving isobarically along a flat surface and hitting a forest, causing a transformation of 3/4 of its kinetic energy into heat energy. The question is asked about the maximum temperature increase that could occur. Various equations, including the potential temperature equation and the ideal gas equation, are explored to try and solve the problem, but the correct answer of 0.15 Kelvin is not obtained.
pondwire

Homework Statement

Wind (dry air, so R=287 Jkg^-1K^-1) is moving isobarically along a flat surface at 30m/s. It hits a forest and 3/4 of its kinetic energy is transformed into heat energy by friction. What is the maximum temperature increase that could occur?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the potential temperature equation, theta = (1000/p)^(R/Csub p), and this equation: changeT = pot. temp. - initial temp., I get a change in temp. of -0.004T, which does nothing for me because there is no velocity included. I also tried using kinetic energy (1/2mv^2) to try to relate it to work and then internal energy, but I don't have a mass for the air parcel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I am not sure if I am doing this correctly but

you can find the heat in terms of mass which is 3/4Ek. This is the should be the same as work done = pV.

And the ideal gas equation with the specific gas constant is pV=mRT.

Thank you for the reply, but I still can't get rid of the mass m in kinetic energy. I've tried using Work = change in KE = - change in potential energy and STILL this mass m is there. Can anyone help?

I also tried using kinetic energy (1/2mv^2) to try to relate it to work and then internal energy, but I don't have a mass for the air parcel.
I think you are on the right track here. You could just say you are doing it for each kg of air. Or cancel the m's in .5*m*v^2 = m*C*(delta T) .

Hey, thanks both you guys for trying to help. I DID get rid of mass m when I set mCchangeT equal to 1/2mv^2, but still did not find the right answer (the book actually gives the answer of maximum temperature change of 0.15 Kelvin, but not much help in showing how to get there.) It seems like it should be so simple! If anyone else out there has any other ideas, I'm listening...

Interesting. I used C = 1005 J/kg/degree and got a temperature rise of 0.336 degrees.
It seems like a straightforward problem, but I guess not. What is this R quantity? It has units of heat capacity but not the standard heat capacity for air.

1. What is the formula for calculating maximum temperature rise from a velocity value?

The formula for calculating maximum temperature rise from a velocity value is as follows:
Tmax = 0.5 * m * v^2 * Cp
Where Tmax is the maximum temperature rise, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and Cp is the specific heat capacity of the material.

2. How do I determine the mass of the object in the formula?

The mass of the object can be determined by measuring its weight using a scale or by calculating its volume and multiplying it by the density of the material. Alternatively, you can also use the known mass of the material and subtract any additional components that may be present.

3. What is the specific heat capacity and where can I find it?

The specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one unit of mass of a substance by one degree. It can be different for different materials and can be found in reference books or online resources.

4. Is the velocity value the initial or final velocity?

The velocity value used in the formula is the final velocity of the object. This is the velocity at which the object is traveling when the maximum temperature rise is reached.

5. What units should I use for the different variables in the formula?

The unit for mass (m) is typically in kilograms (kg), the unit for velocity (v) is in meters per second (m/s), and the unit for specific heat capacity (Cp) is in joules per kilogram Kelvin (J/kgK). It is important to use consistent units for accurate calculations.