Alternative Proofs To Euclid's Propositions

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to practice proving things without a prompt and finding a proof for Euclid's proposition 37 from book I. They are also looking for alternative proofs on different websites and wondering if there is a directory for proofs. The suggested resource is a book with all thirteen books in one volume and the Numberphile episode on prime numbers.
moe darklight
So lately I've been trying to start practicing proving things without being given a prompt (as in actually finding something out, not answering the question: "prove so and so"), which I'd never done before. -- But then the bummer is not knowing the name of what you've just proved :rolleyes:

So after searching I found out that one is a proof of Euclid's proposition 37 from book I (Triangles which are on the same base and in the same parallels equal one another). -- Is there a website where I can find alternative proofs from the one given in the actual book?

I used an algebraic proof and I want to find out who came up with it. -- I found websites with a bazillion (ok, more like 3 or 4) alternative proofs to the pythagorean theorem, but I can't find a website with proofs to the other propositions.

Is there like a proofs directory somewhere out there or something?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

1. What are alternative proofs to Euclid's propositions?

Alternative proofs to Euclid's propositions are different methods or approaches to proving the same geometric theorems as those presented in Euclid's Elements. These alternative proofs may use different axioms, assumptions, or logical reasoning from Euclid's proofs.

2. Why are alternative proofs to Euclid's propositions important?

Alternative proofs to Euclid's propositions provide a deeper understanding of the geometric theorems and concepts in the Elements. They also demonstrate the flexibility and diversity of mathematical reasoning, and allow for comparisons between different approaches to the same problem.

3. How do alternative proofs to Euclid's propositions differ from Euclid's proofs?

Alternative proofs to Euclid's propositions may use different assumptions, definitions, or axioms from those used by Euclid. They may also use different logical reasoning, such as algebraic or geometric methods, to prove the same theorem.

4. Are alternative proofs to Euclid's propositions more valid or accurate than Euclid's proofs?

No, alternative proofs to Euclid's propositions are not inherently more valid or accurate than Euclid's proofs. Both types of proofs are based on logical reasoning and follow the rules of mathematics. However, alternative proofs may offer different insights or perspectives on the same theorem.

5. Where can I find alternative proofs to Euclid's propositions?

Alternative proofs to Euclid's propositions can be found in various mathematical texts, journals, and online resources. They may also be taught in geometry or history of mathematics courses. Some famous alternative proofs include those by Archimedes, Pappus, and Hilbert.