Calculate Magnetic Force on Iron: B0 & Cylinder

In summary: It's the normal component, B, that is continuous at the air/iron interface. So we writeW = (1/2μrμ0)∫B2 dV in iron, andW = (1/2μ0)∫B2 dV in air
I_am_learning
I searched different places but couldn't find how actually you calculate this:-
What is the magnitude of force experienced by a cylindrical piece of iron placed near the end of a solenoid with internal field strength B0.

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason you keep asking this and not getting an answer is that the force is not dependent on the field strength. It's dependent on the gradient of the field strength. This is zero for an ideal (long) solenoid and complicated for a real one.

Vanadium 50 said:
It's dependent on the gradient of the field strength.
Ok, then how do i calculate the force if I know the gradient of the field i.e. I know the function B(x,y,z).

thecritic said:
Ok, then how do i calculate the force if I know the gradient of the field i.e. I know the function B(x,y,z).
One way to calculate the force is to examine how the total stored magnetic energy W of the system changes if the iron object is displaced by a distance dx. As you know, work (energy) is force F times distance dx. So the derivative of the stored energy W in the direction dx is the force in the direction dx:

Fx = dW/dx.

Smythe's (Static and Dynamic Electricity) exact solution for the axial field of a finite length solenoid is given in post #4 (see thumbnail) of this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=352947

Bob S

Last edited:
Bob S said:
Thanks for that. It really helped me.

Bob S said:
One way to calculate the force is to examine how the total stored magnetic energy W of the system changes if the iron object is displaced by a distance dx. As you know, work (energy) is force F times distance dx. So the derivative of the stored energy W in the direction dx is the force in the direction dx:
Fx = dW/dx.
So can I proceed like this to calculate the force on a small iron piece lying some distance from the axis of the solenoid.?
1. The B inside the iron is multiplied by factor ur, So Biron=urBu0
2.The total Energy stored inside the piece can be calculated by intergrating over the entire volume of the iron piece
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/%E2%80%8Chbase/electric/imgele/engbf.gif
3. When the iron piece is moved a small distance then then the total Energy Stored will change.

Then applying Fx = dW/dx. will give the force.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the magnetic energy density outside the iron is

(1/2μ0)∫B2 dV

and inside the iron it is

(1/2μμ0)∫B2 dV

so because B is continuous there is very little energy stored inside the iron.

But there is a dipole field outside the iron that I have not included.

I know there is a thread on this but I cannot find it.

Bob S

Bob S said:
Inside the iron it is
(1/2μμ0)∫B2 dV
so because B is continuous there is very little energy stored inside the iron.
on the contrarary I think there is lot of energy inside the iron because
the total energy inside iron, as you pointed out, is
(1/2μμ0)∫B2 dV
But, B = μB0
So, the energy stored becomes
(1/2μμ0)∫(Bμ)2 dV
= (1/2μμ02∫B2 dV
= (μ/2μ0)∫B2 dV

When the piece of iron is moved a small distance towards the solenoid, the intensity of B increases, so does the energy stored inside the iron.
So, the iron shouldn't move towards the solenoid (since it creates increased energy).
This is directly against the fact that the iron piece is attracted towards the solenoid!??

Last edited:
thecritic said:
on the contrarary I think there is lot of energy inside the iron because
the total energy inside iron, as you pointed out, is
(1/2μμ0)∫B2 dV
But, B = μB0
So, the energy stored becomes
(1/2μμ0)∫(Bμ)2 dV
= (1/2μμ02∫B2 dV
= (μ/2μ0)∫B2 dV

When the piece of iron is moved a small distance towards the solenoid, the intensity of B increases, so does the energy stored inside the iron.
So, the iron shouldn't move towards the solenoid (since it creates increased energy).
This is directly against the fact that the iron piece is attracted towards the solenoid!??
Err... no. Very little energy is stored in the iron. Because the normal component of B is continuous, the energy density is higher in the air than in the iron. See thumbnail.
Bob S

Attachments

• Magnet_air_gap.jpg
    Magnet_air_gap.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 2,293
Last edited:
Bob S said:
Err... no. Very little energy is stored in the iron. Because the normal component of B is continuous, the energy density is higher in the air than in the iron.
Bob S
But In wikipaedia I read this:
f0d14e04603d965b4d625a59745dae55.png

(here u is the total energy stored).
I am confused that, Is it B or H , that is same for both air core and iron-core solenoid?

The basic form for the energy stored in a magnetic field is

W = (1/2)∫ B H dV

In a magnetic system that has both iron and air in the same flux, only B (the normal component) is continuous at the air / iron interface. So we write

W = (1/2μrμ0)∫ B2 dV in iron, and

W = (1/2μ0)∫ B2 dV in air

Bob S

1. How do I calculate the magnetic force on iron using B0 and a cylinder?

To calculate the magnetic force on iron using B0 and a cylinder, you will need to use the following equation: F = B0 * μ0 * N^2 * A, where B0 is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, and A is the cross-sectional area of the cylinder. You will also need to know the magnetic moment of the cylinder, which can be calculated by multiplying the length of the cylinder by the magnetic field strength.

2. What is B0 and how does it affect the magnetic force on iron?

B0, also known as the magnetic field strength, is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point. It is measured in Teslas (T) and is directly proportional to the magnetic force on iron. This means that the greater the value of B0, the greater the magnetic force on the iron.

3. Can the magnetic force on iron be negative?

No, the magnetic force on iron cannot be negative. This is because the force is a vector quantity and is always directed in the same direction as the magnetic field. Therefore, the force can only be positive or zero.

4. How does the shape of the cylinder affect the magnetic force on iron?

The shape of the cylinder does not directly affect the magnetic force on iron. However, it can indirectly affect it by changing the cross-sectional area and the magnetic moment of the cylinder. A larger cross-sectional area or a longer length will result in a greater magnetic moment and therefore a greater magnetic force on the iron.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the magnetic force on iron?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the magnetic force on iron. These include the strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the iron and the magnet, and the orientation of the iron relative to the magnetic field. In addition, the permeability of the iron itself can also play a role in determining the magnetic force.