What Is the Best Algebra Refresher Book for a Calculus Student?

In summary, the individual is currently enrolled in Calculus I and is doing well with the calculus concepts but struggles with the algebra due to a lack of practice. They are looking for a book that covers the necessary algebra skills for calculus, such as simplifying and manipulating terms, synthetic division, logarithms, and basic trigonometry. They prefer a book that is not too in-depth and can be completed within a month, possibly during Christmas break. They mention two books, Algebra and Trigonometry by Israel Gelfand, as potential options.
erok81
I am currently enrolled in Calculus I and am doing fine, the class is very easy as far as calculus concepts go but I struggle with the algebra. It's been 4-5 years since I took algebra so I don't remember a whole lot and really don't want to take the class over.

With that said, are there any books that cover what I am looking for? I don't need super in-depth algebra, I can learn that as I go, just something that helps with simplifying/moving around terms, synthetic division, logarithms, aka anything that is needed algebra-wise that is used most commonly in calculus.

I'm thinking something I can play around with during Christmas break. So I'd like to be able to get through it in about a month.

Oh yeah...maybe basic trig as well. Now that I'm typing this out...maybe I am best suited with something you'd take before calculus, like a "basics you should know before taking calculus" type thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
The two books, Algebra and Trigonometry, by Israel Gelfand. They are short and sweet.

There are definitely resources available to help refresh your algebra skills, especially for the specific topics you mentioned that are commonly used in calculus. One option could be to look for an online course or tutorial specifically focused on algebra for calculus. Another option could be to find a review book or workbook that specifically covers these topics and allows you to practice and apply your skills. Additionally, many calculus textbooks also have review sections or appendices dedicated to basic algebra and trigonometry concepts, so you may want to check if your current textbook has those resources as well. Ultimately, it will be important to find a resource that aligns with your learning style and allows you to effectively review and practice the necessary algebra skills for success in calculus.

1. What level of algebra does the "Good Basic Algebra Refresher Book" cover?

The "Good Basic Algebra Refresher Book" covers basic algebra concepts typically taught in middle school or high school.

2. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it meant to be used in a classroom setting?

This book can be used for self-study as it includes clear explanations and examples, as well as practice problems for each concept.

3. Does the book include answer keys for the practice problems?

Yes, the book includes answer keys for all practice problems to allow for self-assessment and practice.

4. Is this book helpful for those who struggle with math?

Yes, the "Good Basic Algebra Refresher Book" is designed to help those who struggle with math by providing a clear and easy-to-understand review of basic algebra concepts.

5. Can this book be used as a refresher for those who have not studied algebra in a while?

Yes, this book is a great refresher for those who have not studied algebra in a while, as it covers the foundational concepts of algebra in a concise and easy-to-understand manner.