Where is the Earth Pin Connected in a Laptop Power Converter?

• Thread starter likephysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pin Power
In summary, the 3rd pin on a US plug is for earth ground, but there is no metal case or exposed parts, so it's not necessary.
likephysics
I was looking at my laptop power plug - one has a 3 pin and the other is 2 pin.
The power coming into the laptop has only 2 connections - GND and +DC
If I remember rectifiers, we only used the AC mains to convert AC to DC, not the earth.
I am wondering, where is the the Earth pin connected in the laptop power converter? To the power converter chassis?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It may not be connected to anything. Most power supples are double insulated, in any case and often have a plastic third pin. (UK)

Th plastic Earth pin is there because it is needed to lift the safety shutters on the live+neutral pins on a UK socket.

Natch.
I meant that the third pin is plastic rather than brass.

I was just explaining why they bother fitting a 3rd pin if it's plastic - other than BS1363 requiring it

The 3rd pin is not plastic. It is metal, just like the two other pins. The laptop was bought in the USA.

likephysics said:
I was looking at my laptop power plug - one has a 3 pin and the other is 2 pin.
The power coming into the laptop has only 2 connections - GND and +DC
If I remember rectifiers, we only used the AC mains to convert AC to DC, not the earth.
I am wondering, where is the the Earth pin connected in the laptop power converter? To the power converter chassis?

Are you referring to the external power supply that converts your mains AC to about 17 volts DC for the laptop?

Mine is a switch mode power supply and it is in an earthed metal case, possibly to reduce radiated interference. The negative lead of the 17 V DC is also earthed, but the laptop would still function if it wasn't earthed.

These power supplies contain high frequency oscillators that generate a lot of harmonics and these need to be filtered and shielded to avoid interference in nearby equipment.

likephysics said:
The 3rd pin is not plastic. It is metal, just like the two other pins. The laptop was bought in the USA.
Sorry got a bit off topic.

The Earth pin is a saefty feature, any exposed metal parts of a product must be connected to Earth so that if a fault allowed the live wire to touch the metal your would be protected. Since the laptop isn't made of metal - and doesn't have any high voltages inside it there is no need of an earth.

The power brick probably has a 2 pin connection (a figure of 8 DIN socket) because it is also plastic and doesn't need an Earth.
UK plugs always have an Earth because the third pin is needed to open the safety shutters on the live/neutral holes, if the equipement doesn't need the Earth this pin is sometimes plastic to save money - but an unused metal Earth pin isn't a problem.

US plugs that connect to non-earthed applicances can be just two pins.

If the laptop power brick has a 3pin socket then its a bit naughty to supply a 2pin plug .

vk6kro said:
Are you referring to the external power supply that converts your mains AC to about 17 volts DC for the laptop?

Mine is a switch mode power supply and it is in an earthed metal case, possibly to reduce radiated interference. The negative lead of the 17 V DC is also earthed, but the laptop would still function if it wasn't earthed.

These power supplies contain high frequency oscillators that generate a lot of harmonics and these need to be filtered and shielded to avoid interference in nearby equipment.

That's what I thought. But I don't think there is a metal case, only plastic outer case. which is why the confusion started. Maybe some of the power converters have them.

Mine has a plastic case, but it seems to have a metal inner casing which might be for EM shielding. I can attract it weakly with a magnet, but I haven't taken it to bits.

If so, it would need to be earthed.

On the outer plastic there is a caution: "connect only to a grounded outlet". Since there is no exposed metal, this would be for the shielding to be effective.

Also, there would be filtering on the input and this would have capacitors bypassing the input lines to ground. So, the ground would have to be brought into the box.
Mine has 8nF from both active and neutral input leads to the ground lead and this is presumably from filtering at the input of the power supply.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a 3 pin and a 2 pin power plug?

The main difference between a 3 pin and a 2 pin power plug is the number of pins or prongs that are present on the plug. A 3 pin power plug has three prongs, whereas a 2 pin power plug has only two prongs.

2. Why do some countries use 3 pin power plugs while others use 2 pin?

The use of 3 pin or 2 pin power plugs is determined by the electrical standards and regulations of each country. Some countries have higher voltage and require the extra grounding provided by a third pin, while others have lower voltage and can operate safely with just two pins.

3. Is one type of power plug safer than the other?

Both 3 pin and 2 pin power plugs can be considered safe as long as they are used properly and meet the necessary safety standards. However, 3 pin power plugs provide an additional layer of protection against electric shocks due to the grounding of the third pin.

4. Can I use a 3 pin power plug in a 2 pin socket?

No, it is not recommended to use a 3 pin power plug in a 2 pin socket. This can lead to an unsafe electrical connection and may cause damage to your devices or pose a risk of electrical shock.

5. Are there any advantages to using a 3 pin power plug over a 2 pin power plug?

One advantage of using a 3 pin power plug is that it provides grounding, which helps to prevent electric shocks and protect your devices. Additionally, some 3 pin power plugs also have built-in surge protection, which can protect your devices from power surges and fluctuations.